View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Saving my Plasma screen
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:27 pm 
Hi all,

I have a plasma screen, and I am trying to create a solution to keep burn-in to a minimum.

My TV (Visio, but it doesn't matter) has a feature on the menu called Image Cleaner that blanks the screen white. It is to be used after the screen has been on for a while with a fixed image (MythTV menu, etc.), or a video that is not wide screen. This menu is, of course, a manual operation. I would like to automate it.

Using xset dpms blanks the screen, but I would like to make the screen solid white for a couple of minutes, then blank or turn the screen off. I have not been able to find an screensaver, like Xscreensaver, that will go from one solid screen color to blank or dpms suspend.

My preference would be for xset to handle all of this, but I would settle for a combination of a solid white screensaver set for 8 minutes, and dpms suspend set at 10 minutes.

Does anyone know how to achieve this?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:28 pm 
How are you connecting your PC to the TV? HDMI? I dunno if xset or any powersavings mode in xscreensaver will work through HDMI... actually, I don't know if your TV has a 'standby' mode like a monitor would.

Anyway, I think you're best solution would be to use xscreensaver w/ one that has some motion to it such that there isn't anything static. I use pyro, low CPU/GPU and always moves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:56 am 
Yes, the RGB on my Visio does function like a monitor, powering off when there is no signal. I have to manually turn it back on, but that is just one extra click on the remote.
I tried HDMI for a while, but I didn't see enough of a difference in image quality, and it was a pain to compensate for overscan, AND there was no EnergyStar standby, so I switched back to RGB when I upgraded to R6.

Re: screensavers with motion, I have not found one that evenly (or randomly) distributes the pattern across the whole screen. That is why I want to have a solid white screen for a couple of minutes, to "clean up" the whole screen.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:01 am 
farnell wrote:
Using xset dpms blanks the screen, but I would like to make the screen solid white for a couple of minutes, then blank or turn the screen off. I have not been able to find an screensaver, like Xscreensaver, that will go from one solid screen color to blank or dpms suspend.

My preference would be for xset to handle all of this, but I would settle for a combination of a solid white screensaver set for 8 minutes, and dpms suspend set at 10 minutes.

Does anyone know how to achieve this?

Thanks!

How about
Code:
xsetroot -solid white
I think you'd have to be at the XWindows window manager for this to work (not running the frontend) and I don't think it would cover the window decorations or apps running. Maybe this isn't enough for what you want.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:53 am 
I think it would be better to let somebody see your plasma screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:55 am 
I agree with farnell

truereligion jeans
GHD hair straighteners ghd straighteners Juicy couture wholesale China plastic injection molding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:00 pm 
What is the mechanism of plasma burn-in? Doesn't it occur because the phosphors in the set have a natural half-life based on the accumulated use of the specific pixel on the screen? If so, why would you ever blast the screen with white? Wouldn't that have the effect of prematurely aging your precious plasma phosphers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:58 am 
Yes, blasting with white does prematurely age all the phosphors, but in the long run (i.e. as the blast time approaches the static-image time), the static image burn-in is reduced. (as is the display's life)

Imagine someone painting a pattern on your T-shirt with bleach. Washing the whole thing with bleach will hide most of the pattern (at the cost of your garment's original colour).

Turning on a screensaver, even one that just blackens the menus and doesn't power off the display, is the best way to prevent burn-in.