View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Toshiba Satellite Laptop
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:57 am 
Is it possible for KnoppMyth to be installed on my laptop. It is a Toshiba Satellite, bought last year.

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:02 am 
I would have thought so. Are you aiming for it to be an additional frontend? Or are you waning it to be a whole system. If the later is the case, you'll need some tuners - usb DVB tuners are readily available.
I'd just give it a go, as long as there is nothing on the hard drive you want to keep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:43 pm 
tophee wrote:
I would have thought so. Are you aiming for it to be an additional frontend? Or are you waning it to be a whole system. If the later is the case, you'll need some tuners - usb DVB tuners are readily available.
I'd just give it a go, as long as there is nothing on the hard drive you want to keep.

You are dealing with an absolute tyro here. The frontend idea seems a possibility. I have no idea what a usb DVB tuner is!

Normally I would just give it a go but my wife uses the laptop on our home network. If I wreck her setup one more time I am likely to be sitting on the doorstep. This leads me to the question I forgot to ask at the outset, could the laptop be set up as a dual boot system.

Thank you for your response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:17 am 
Oh, ok.
Right I'd suggest doing a bit of reading around then.

You may or may not know, but KnoppMyth/LinHes is designed to be a stand alone media centre, turning a computer into an appliance more like that of a video recorder than a pc (though with much more functionality). But you could dual boot if you wanted - though it might be more complicated than you want.

DVB stands for digital video broadcast, and is becoming the format for broadcasting in Europe (possibly the US as well - you can tell I don't live there) especially with the march to analogue switchoff.

If you want to record live TV, you need a way of capturing a TV broadcast signal: either a tuner card (pci) or usb tuner stick.

You will also need a lot of storage capacity. My current media centre has 1.5Tb of storage for ripped DVD's, downloaded content and what I've recorded.

If you want to play without endangering your current living arrangements, perhaps use an old pc and not one that you wife is trying to use on a regular basis. There are plenty of media centres that can be installed onto your operating system that will sit on top of the initial install such as Moovidia - I think that works on all platforms.

HTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:38 am 
tophee wrote:
Oh, ok.
Right I'd suggest doing a bit of reading around then.
HTH

Thank you and yes, I am reading. I think that what I will do is look around for another old computer. There a lot of secondhand, refurbished, Pent. 4's available for only a couple of hundred dollars.

Your help has been appreciated,

Thank you.