View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:10 pm 
I have a frontend (R6.02) that has been working fine for a long time. Tonight, while the frontend was powered off, I unplugged the network cable from it and plugged the cable into my blu-ray player to do a firmware update. I then put the cable back into the frontend and powered on. Suddenly the frontend can't find the network.

I do use a PCI NIC card, not the onboard NIC. I thought it might be some kind of eth0/eth1 naming switch, but the onboard NIC is disabled in the BIOS, and I don't know how to check to see which eth the operating system is trying to use in the first place.

Last edited by richwine4 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:24 am 
ifconfig will show you the active connections, ip addresses and other related parameters. I assume the LEDs on the card are showing connectivity and activity? If not then first try and replace the cable. They do go bad when they are in one place for a long period of time.

You say it can't find the network. How did you determine this?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:09 am 
Thanks, yes ifconfig shows only the loopback device. Both the green and orange LEDS are lit, however they are NOT flashing to indicate activity. When I said it couldn't find the network, I just meant that myth boots into the dreaded "select your language" screen rather than starting up the frontend. Tonight I can try to put the cable back into the blu-ray player to see if the cable is still alive. That would really be unfortunate if it has broken, because it's run over the basement ceiling and through walls!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:00 pm 
If you only have the loopback entry then it didn't see your card for some reason. I suspect the cable is ok since the port should show up even if the cable is disconnected. BTW, usually when a cable dies it is the spring clips in the connector which get tired and sit where they have been for an extended period of time.

check to see if you can see the card using "lspci". If you can't see it then try reseating the card; it's possible it got dislodged during the shuffling.

If you have done nothing to the software then it is most likely a hardware related issue.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:38 am 
The network card was indeed seated improperly. Thanks for your help!