View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:33 pm 
My current LinHES system is running on a single disk drive with two ext3 file systems. I am thinking of moving \myth from an ext3 file system to a XFS file system.

From what I've read an XFS file systems are more efficient handling large files, especially when deleting files.

Any thoughts as to the merits of this change?

What would be the best way to handle this conversion.

Thanks,

Tim

Oh the system case will on hold a single drive.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:55 pm 
oh man you did it now! Maybe you would like to discuss something less inflammatory like religion or politics or evolution. There seems to be a group of people passionate about every file system type and no end of excuses for why one is better than the other.
I am running EXT4 on two older drives and have had no problems with large files.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:51 pm 
mattbat,

Thanks for the input.... Might get interesting ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:05 am 
Search under my name for posts containing the keyword xfs; I wrote a several posts showing how to convert and how to maintain the filesystem once converted. It is faster, it can be defragged (not really needed for media), but it also does not have a standard fsck utility. You have to manually do this which is in contrast to ext4 which plays will with e2fsck.

My advice is to switch to ext4 and call it good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:08 pm 
mattbatt wrote:
oh man you did it now! Maybe you would like to discuss something less inflammatory like religion or politics or evolution. There seems to be a group of people passionate about every file system type and no end of excuses for why one is better than the other.
I am running EXT4 on two older drives and have had no problems with large files.

I thought that it was common knowledge that FAT16 is the best...

I have never used EXT4, but I have been using XFS for /myth based on graysky's posts for several revisions now. I recently read that it since kernel 2.6.38 it is much better at preventing fragmentation and the allocsize=512M is no longer necessary. I found this out because I recently copied some mp3's to my system and each one was allocated 512M even after a reboot and I was trying to figure out how to free up my hard drive space since a couple hundred mp3's were allocated to 100 GB of space, lol. I am not quite sure if it is true yet, but I'll check my fragmentation this weekend (after about 1 week). In any case, I can't think of any issues which I have had with data corruption or the like.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:33 pm 
Thanks for the replies. I checked out graysky's post's on XFS and also his suggestion to move to ext4.

From what I've read is appears that moving to ext4 might be easier than moving to XFS so am thinking I'll take graysky advice migrate to ext4. The fact that it's an in place process sounds good.