View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:19 am 
Ho do i access LinHES webserver from outside my home network?
I have openvpn server on my netgear router
From my smartphone, i use VPN client to connect to the Netgear router
I then use port forwarding in my router to move into the LInhes but web page doesnot show up.
For example : i use port 80 on the router and tell port forwarding that i want linhes port 80 when forwarding.

Sorry, this should be easy, but not working for me

thank you
jim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:28 am 
you are using two different tools, vpn and port forwarding, to gain access to your mythtv box. in fact, you only need to pick one. also, you do not indicate what url you are using. this would be an important piece of information to assess your issue and provide a diagnosis.

if your netgrear router vpn service is configured to allow access to all devices on your local network, then the url you would enter would be the very same url you use to access mythtv when you are home.

for example, my mythtv box has a local ip address of 10.0.1.3, so i would enter "http://10.0.1.3" in a browser if i vpn in. this works this way because the vpn service has placed you on your local network, just as if you are home sitting on the sofa.

using this method, only people with a login to your vpn server can access your mythtv box

if you use port forwarding, your mythtv box will be available on the internet, allowing anyone on the internet to at least "knock on the door" of your mythtv box. please make sure your mythtv requires a login if you choose to do this. in this case, you would enter your publicly addressable ip address and any forwarded port number you may have chosen.

so, my advice is to pick one method and verify that you are using the correct url, as the url will change based on if you are using vpn or port forwarding

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:01 pm 
Don't port forward your server on to the internet, it's not secure enough for that kind of abuse.