View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:09 am 
I finally got my bluetooth modem working. I have two minor problems that I think are specific to the knoppmyth setup.

First, when I dial using:

pppd call <profile> defaultroute

An error shows up in the logs that the defaultroute cannot be set because there is already one. I have to su root to delete it. I have looked through init.d files (including network) and I can't find where it is set. Any idea how I can delete the default route?

Second, the userID mythtv does not have permission to use pppd (I was hoping to add a menu item in mythfrontend). I added mythtv to the dialout group, but that still doesn't work. I can use it from the non-root account I set up for myself.

Finally (and this is definitely not knoppmyth specific, but I thought I would ask it anyway), how do I hang up? There is a pppd disconnect <script> command, but the man pages tell me that the script needs to do the modem specific things like hangup. I would have thought that since pppd could do the off-hook, it would also do the hangup....

And for anyone who may be playing with bluetooth, a word of caution. When trying to pair a new item, turn on the TV. That's where all the PIN prompts show up, not the ssh or vnc window you may be using. Better yet, just rewrite bluez-pin to hard code the PIN.

Allen

Post subject: not sure...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:10 pm 
Not really sure... but a guess

Show your route table
route -n

Delete the default gw
route del default gw $IPADDRESS$

.. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:34 am 
That's what I have to do to dial out (actually, just a route delete default). The problem is that the entry comes back after a reboot. I just upgraded, and once I get my bluetooth modem working again, I'm going to look further. It has to be in one if the init files somewhere... I noticed it was in one of the config questions during the upgrade. I didn't want to change the default values because I didn't know what else I might break.

Allen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:42 am 
If it comes back after a reboot, then it's probably read from /etc/network/interfaces. If not then look for filenames called if-up*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:22 am 
Thanks, /etc/network/interfaces was where it was. I had tried a find/grep for the problem IP address on the whole /etc directory and it didn't find anything. I guess I have to be more careful typing.

I've also found answers to my other questions:

- User mythtv has no access to pppd: I added mythtv to groups dialout and dod.

- Hanging up connection: Instead of pppd, I use pon and poff (poff needs to be done by same user that did pon)

Allen