View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:33 pm 
Just wondering how helpful posts are that ask in a generic way if someone with a question had read this or that doc?

If this is all the help you can provide, then may I suggest you just not post this?

If, however, you can point to a specific doc or actually help, then this would be fantastic. Because this is a live project, a generic "read the doc" statement is meaningless unless it states the specific doc which is somehow associated with the release someone is having problems with. Having this mentioned in the reply posts would be cool.

This post is not meant for anyone specific. I happened to notice a trend of this lately from multiple people on these threads, and this point of view is from someone who is trying to get things working. I appreciate all the hard work that everyone is doing, and for my part, I am trying to contribute back what I can as well so that others may have an easier time getting things to work as desired than myself.

Keep up the good work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:52 pm 
When I suggest read the MythTV docs or the KnoppMyth docs, I think that is pretty specify. There is only one KnoppMyth doc that is official and there is only one MythTV doc that is official. Am I ever going to point to a specify area of the doc? Is there a need to? The KnoppMyth doc isn't "War and Peace" and the MythTV doc does have a table of contents (troubleshooting?!). One often finds many questions answered by reading the docs.

While I think setting up MythTV should be as painless as possible, one does need read the documentation to find out how things work/should work/should be setup. Think of all the man page, READMEs, INSTALL, HOWTOs those of us that state "read the docs" have read. There is a reason we say "read the docs".

Regards,

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:35 pm 
Besides the fact that we don't always have the exact url for a particular doc memorized, and think that it would be just as simple for someone else to spend their time searching for it after all they are the ones needing the information.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:47 pm 
What would improve things is for anyone who posts a question that results in a "read the docs" or "search the forum" response, when you get things working, reply to your own thread with the specific references to what fixed your problem. This makes the results of searching the forum much more useful. Otherwise, all you are doing by posting previously answered questions is polluting the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:11 pm 
Good point Greg. I think in a round-about way this is what I was trying to communicate.

Good work in any case to everyone who puts in the effort to keep this going (especially the first 2 replies here :) ), I know you guys are dedicated, and in my own way, I am trying to help others with issues that I've run into to save time as well. I think everyone who posts here is attempting to do the same thing in their own capacity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:26 am 
I havent been active in these forums too long, so this has nothing to do with anything anyone has done here, but I know from the main Mythtv mailing list that "RTFM" style posts arent helpful to everyone

Often alot of these documents are very long, and speak in advanced terms which alot of Newbies who are just making the leap over from windows might not understand. So maybe you dont know the specific link maybe you can reserve your comment, I have occasionally looked at a post and not had the time to look up the relevant info, so I might pop back and if it hasnt been answered then pull out some links.

sometimes you just have to translate a little for it to be understandable. As they do it more they will get a better understanding of the way it goes and that there is good information to find. Sometimes the search function doesnt work if you dont know what the actual problem is, as people describe the same thing different ways especially if they dont know the common term for the ailment

just my 2 cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:51 pm 
Would it be too much to ask that we could have a page that links to documentation, as there is a plethora of links that are out there.

Yes, we have the links page, but I find this very general.

I agree about reposting your fix when you do find out how you went about fixing something.

Just my 20cent (not including GST)