View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Can't mount CDROM
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:17 pm 
I've just installed R5A12 and I'm trying to follow the instructions here:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... e+frontend

in order to use a VIA EPIA as a net booted diskless front end. The problem I've run in to is that I can't mount my CDROM

I was able to boot off of the CD just fine and install KnoppMyth with only one minor problem getting Lilo to write the MBR. After getting KnoppMyth booting and running I am unable to mount the same CD and CD drive that I used to install.

/dev/cdrom is a symlink to /dev/hdc. The box is a Dell SC420 with a SATA drive as /dev/hda and a CD drive as the only device on the only IDE bus.

/etc/modules contain a line ide_cd
/etc/fstab contains a line for mounting /dev/cdrom

when I try to mount I get an error mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

NOTE: the prep-ts script mentioned in the link above (I think it's a KnoppMyth specific script) trys to mount /dev/sr0. That didn't work either, but I think that is for a scsi CD. This is an IDE CD and I don't think that SCSI emulation is being used.

NOTE 2: This is a day old R5A12 install. I haven't added any software or tweaked any config files other than doing the GUI setup. The /etc/modules and /etc/fstab are unchanged from the way KnoppMyth set them up.

Post subject: Figured it out
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:55 pm 
Replying to myself here, the problem was pretty simple but this is my first SATA box so I didn't think of it.

The CDROM is /dev/hda, not /dev/hdc. So, KnoppMyth set up the /dev/cdrom symbolic link wrong. Incidentally, the prep-ts script probably ought to reference /dev/cdrom instead of /dev/sr0.

Is there a bug reporting process? These are fairly low priority, but the install can certainly detect what device it is installed off of, so at least /dev/cdrom could be set to that device. Hard coding it to /dev/hdc (which in my case apparently doesn't exist) doesn't make sense.