View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: file systems
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:23 am 
I have 4 hard drives for videos, 3 formatted as Reiserfs and 1 formatted as JFS. The one that was JFS started going blonky on me whereby the primary and secondary superblocks were getting corrupted. By using jfs_debugfs I was able to get some of the videos off of it before it went completely belly up. I didn't wind up losing anything that won't be hard to re-record.

So I re-formatted the device as Reiserfs, and it's working fine! I've been copying data to it left right and center, rebooted the box a few times etc. and it's been rock solid.

So the question: Is JFS less stable than Reiserfs? Did some freak circumstance result in bad sectors appearing in both the primary and secondary superblocks? Is it because my kernel is at 2.6.10 but I originally formatted the drive under 2.4.x?

I've heard some folks here using XFS, how's that do for you? I like Reiser, it's never resulted in a problem for me; but it is a little slow to delete recordings; although that's a pretty minor scheme in the greater scheme of things.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:04 pm 
I have been using XFS on my mythbox for over a year now and never had any problems with it, but that is the only experience I've had with it whatever that's worth.

Xsecrets