View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:03 am 
I've got a hauppauge wintv-stereo (model 401, if I recall correctly). it's about 6 years old, and has served me well, but it seems I'm being left behind in the brave new world of PVR cards. I just built a new KnoppMyth system with R5A12. Everything worked out of the box, cept for tv audio.

Using the advice of someone here, I put the option 'audiomux=1' in the module call (in /etc/modules, which seems hacky, but it works), and got sound output from the card -- a step I never remember having to take with earlier versions of bttv, when I installed years ago. Still, it works, and I'm ecstatic.

....buuuuut, the sound quality leaves something to be desired. There's this hiss in the background, and I'm guessing/hoping it comes from the digital-analog-digital part of the journey.

So, I'd love to get btaudio working, and eliminate that step. I have one of the few cards which is pretty much assured to work with the thing... and it just seems so much more elegant a solution (the patch cable thing always irked me).

I've stumbled blindly through the btaudio faqs, and the btaudio suggestions posted on here, but it all comes down to one big problem:

Code:
root@mythtv:/etc/mythtv/modules# modprobe btaudio
FATAL: Module btaudio not found.

I'm not at all clear on where I should be able to find this module, if it exists -- I suspect it'd be rolled into bttv.ko, but I have no way of finding out, because, like I said, I'm stumbling blindly around, and don't really understand how the modules I probe and the module code files interact.

I grabbed the bttv .9.15 sources from bytesex.org, and read the docs, and there's no mention of btaudio (or of any method of getting audio over the pci bus, that I noticed). Has its functionality been deprecated/subsumed by tvaudio (or something else)? Does anyone know? Does anyone even bother with this anymore?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:05 am 
Although I use a different card, I have the same issue. I thought I would provide this information as it might help.

There are a number of options for audiomux as listed in:
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/video4linux/bttv/Sound-FAQ
they are:

0-Tuner
1-Radio
2-external
3-internal
4- mute
5- stereo

And now that I have read these I am still none the wiser as to which one to use, but it may help you.

Good luck. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:08 pm 
mako wrote:
I'm not at all clear on where I should be able to find this module, if it exists -- I suspect it'd be rolled into bttv.ko, but I have no way of finding out, because, like I said, I'm stumbling blindly around, and don't really understand how the modules I probe and the module code files interact.

I grabbed the bttv .9.15 sources from bytesex.org, and read the docs, and there's no mention of btaudio (or of any method of getting audio over the pci bus, that I noticed). Has its functionality been deprecated/subsumed by tvaudio (or something else)? Does anyone know? Does anyone even bother with this anymore?

I was in the same boat -- btaudio was nowhere to be found.

From poking around the mailing list archive at gossamer threads, it seems:
1. btaudio has been "replaced" with the ALSA module snd_bt87x but
2. snd_bt87x isn't working for a lot of people (including myself)

At bytesex.org there is a tarball for btaudio:
http://dl.bytesex.org/releases/video4li ... 023.tar.gz

I have no idea if there is a newer version or where to find it -- I grabbed the latest snapshot of video4linux as whole to get a new cx88 driver (to fix an unrelated problem) but btaudio didn't seem to be in there anywhere.

But I used the version linked above to compile a btaudio module and... success! I had to unload snd_bt87x first, but now I can insert btaudio successfully and it gives me audio. (I never got anything with snd_bt87x.)

I have some sort of sample rate mismatch problem, but at least I'm getting audio now so I'm on the right path.