View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:22 am 
I've been thinking of taking the script for "restart mythfrontend using power button on hauppauge remote(s)" from this thread:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

...and modifying it to become a method of switching between a) the best FX5200 settings under X for a VGA-connected DLP projector (XGA/24bit) and b) the best FX5200 settings under X for an s-video-connected TV (SVGA/16bit).

The script would be simple, essentially:

a. shutdown mythfrontend
b. shutdown X
c. Swap XF86Config-4 and XF86Config-4.alt files (or a more complicated file dance if necessary)
d. start X
e. start mythfrontend (if necessary)

The idea here is that the projector bulb ($$$) lifetime is limited *and* a sometimes you want SDTV on in the background on a 29" CRT and not an all encompassing experience in a dark theater.

I plan to use the nvidia Twinview multimonitor functionality for this.

Before I start down the scripting, I have some questions.

1. My understanding is that only one device at a time can be configured to take advantage of the nvidia acceleration, which leads to the above two file strategy. Is it always Monitor0 (the first one) that gets the acceleration? If not, in what manner is the acceleration "assigned" to a monitor?

2. Will using Twinview incur a substantial performance hit on the first monitor in terms of noticeable drawing speed or max bitdepth usable?

3. I noticed that the Knoppmyth install process actually created the current XF86Config-4 file that I am using. Clearly a scan was done of the video card and connected monitor (it knows the projector brand!) and the XF86Config-4 was generated. Under what conditions does this happen? If only on first boot, I'm not concerned, but if it happens each time a hardware change is detected, I suppose I'd need to write the script to work around that.

4. Are there other mythtv related configuration options, files and/or database entries that might need adjustments between the two display devices & X configurations? I'm thinking things like default interlace filter settings, etc.

5. Am I approaching this all wrong? Is there a better solution?

All suggestions, comments, criticism welcome.

thanks,
-brendan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:07 am 
You would need two buttons and two scripts.

B1 (S1) XF86Config-4.svideo --> XF86Config-4
B2 (S2) XF86Config-4.projector --> XF86Config-4

When the button is pressed, the script would copy over XF86Config-4 and restart GDM.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!