View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 2:08 pm 
I've had an R4V5 based box running nicely for about 6 months. I just did an Auto-upgrade to R5A15.

After reading many posts here and a bit of fiddling, I have my PVR350 output working. All my settings and recordings were preserved. Yay!

The last thing I changed was to put a .xsession file in /home/mythtv to start mythfrontend on start up (suggested here http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3827). Otherwise I just got gdm (gnome right?) with Tux on the sofa. (BTW who are the two guys on the TV?)

However, when the system starts now, mythfrontend starts but I get a dialog on top of it, saying "Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds...". If I click on the OK, it exits to the login screen (sunflower). Logging in as myth then repeats the error dialog, but myth comes up on top and i can use all the normal functions.

The error messages available in the dialog mention no error at all. I've nonetheless checked various things listed in other posts on the web, even though I don't have the associated error message:
Plenty of diskspace on all partitions.
Ownership and permissions on home directort files.

If I log in as the user that was created by the upgrade process I get no error and myth starts up, even though there is no .xsession file. (So I know there is another way to start mythfrontend.)

Any pointers on how to get this configured right?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:04 am 
sgf wrote:
(BTW who are the two guys on the TV?)

cesman and Dale I believe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:39 pm 
OK, I fixed the problem, but I'm not sure that everything is as it should be.

I had put this in the .xsession file:
Code:
/usr/bin/mythfrontend &

Which started mythfrontend. However since the .xsession file is processed like a script, it completed when the front end process was spawned. So the session ended simplt because there was nothing else in the script for it to do.

Removing the &, causes the session to remain until the mythfrontend program exits, and eliminates the error dialog. :)

In my poking around I found other issues with how gdm/fluxbox are set up, but I think I will post them in KnoppMyth general.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:03 pm 
Using an .xsession file can circumvent the window manager which is probably suboptimal. However I'm a bit short on functioning brain cells at the moment to try to sort you out so ...

Under R5A15.1 if the WM is working and MythTV exits, you should be able to do an "Alt-M" and restart it. Other key shortcuts include Alt-X (start an xterm), and Alt-S (start mythtv-setup), ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:13 pm 
Thanks for the reply.

I realize that the .xsession file isn't the right thing, but without it, all I get is the "Tux on the sofa" background, no mythfrontend. I can click and get a menu with the "Fluxbox" heading so I infer Fluxbox is running. however it doesn't seem to be using the config files in /home/mythtv/.fluxbox. I say that because the apps file looks like others posted here and specifies Knoppmyth-run (which is what is supposed to start mythfrontend, right?). Also it has the xset line to disable the screensaver, but I have the screensaver running. Also the menu doesn't list myth under Apps/Graphics.

With the .xsession file to start myth, the Alt keys you mention do not work. However, I can log in as the user that was created by the Knoppmyth installation and myth starts up, and Alt keys work. That user has no .xsession file. Neither user has an .xinitrc file.

I'm trying to look at the config files for the other user to see what the mythtv user should have.

So I guess my most basic question is, how is fluxbox *supposed* to be started? In a gdm config file?

Aren't gdm and fluxbox both window managers? If so what is the reason for having them both?

I pretty sure I did one of the upgrade steps wrong (extra reboot or something) but I don't remember what.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:19 pm 
GDM isn't a window manager. Google is your friend. If you think you did something wrong, you can just reinstall (upgrade).

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!