View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:16 pm 
I realize this is not the Linux helpdesk but I've done a bit of googling on the topic with little meaningful results.

I have a working version of Myth on a small hard-drive (32GB). I want to either

a. move it to my 120GB drive
or
b. add my 120GB drive to the system

I assume the best course of action is to keep the 32GB drive with Myth installed and add the 120GB drive for recordings. I tried adding the HD (meaning putting it on a secondary IDE channel and booting) but myth and linux don;t see it (even fdisk doesn't but bios does)....it might be because that drive contains a linux/myth distribution of itself.

Questions:

1. Is it the better course of action to add the 120GB drive for recordings and keep the 32GB drive for linux?

2. If better to move the image from the 32GB drive to the 120-GB drive....how? I have access to Partitonmagic as well as Drive Image Pro but not sure if they are recommended for Linux.

3. Any idea why Linux (fdisk) and Myth don't see the drive? If it's got it's own Linux installed on it, could it be because it needs a setting adjustment (maybe it's set to hidden?)? But wouldn't fdisk see even hidden or non-primary drives?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:40 pm 
LVM. I don't know why Linux isn't seeing the drive and the BIOS is....nothing I can think of at the moment.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:43 pm 
If your 32G drive has a functional system, the easy way out is to mount /myth on to the big drive, but first you've got to get the system to see it. Have you checked /var/log/messages to see what kind of hard drive messages are there from boot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:26 pm 
Thanks.....I'm not sure why it wasn't originally seen but the powers of the reboot did it (or perhaps I was just blind before). With the help of google and a couple of folks, I realized LVM would do what I needed, but to simply add the drive, I could simply use fdisk

So I created the partition with fdisk, then used mkfs to make the filesystem (ext3), then edited /etc/fstab, then mounted and presto-whamo, my drive was seen by Myth....I then launched mythtvsetup to point the recordings to my new drive (after copying over my existing recordings).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:17 pm 
As a followup, if your old drive's /myth partition is concurrent with your /cache partition, you may want to boot up with a knoppix disk, then fdisk delete both and create one larger /cache partition. Format it, and you can reboot with out the knoppix disk and you will now be able to pause live tv for significantly longer than you could before.

Post subject: better?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:28 pm 
Of course everybody's version of best difffers, but you might want to think about the additional noise of 2 drives in your system instead of one when taking a course of action...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:47 am 
Try Mondo Rescue. It allows you to create bootable ISO images that can be burnt on CD-R(W)s and used for baremetal recovery. These images hold a backup of your system. You can boot from them and install your system onto a new harddisk, try a different partiontable etc. etc. It's always handy to have a good backup of your system. More info:

http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/