View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:37 pm 
I'm finding that over time I'm adding packages and running out of room on my root partition.

I've read about the parted tool and wonder if anyone has used this safely to resize their root partition.

Along this thread, is there a boot disk/rescue mode option if I use the KnoppMyth R5A15.1 CD to boot, or do I need to make my own?

Thanks,
Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:52 pm 
Golly I hope you are not talking about a KnoppMyth install here. If you are adding that much to a dedicated PVR then you are only asking for trouble. :-) The only other way I could see this being a problem is with a very small HD. HD space is cheep. hint hint... Other than that. man parted to get the low down. This will work. Depending on how much "other" stuff you have installed or another linux box you could try QTParted. I would still suggest getting a bigger drive and letting auto install do it's thing. You could also manual install knoppmyth and give your / a bigger partition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:26 pm 
As with a bigger HDD and the auto install I find that the boot partition size doesn't change, it hovers around the 2.5GB mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:28 am 
Umm, mine are closer to 3.7 GB... One on a 200 GB drive the other on a 120. With nearly 2GB available. Which is a lot of extra packages for a "stable" PVR. A manual install may really be the best way for those concerned about hda1 space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:26 am 
I was hoping I could use "parted" to adjust my partition sizes as well, only to find that it doesn't yet understand the ext3 file system layout, at least not when installed on a 250GB drive. (I tried "parted" from the Knoppix 3.7 and 3.9 CD's).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:09 am 
There are various tools one can use to resize the partition. It all depends on the type of filesystem one has... Simply put, booting the CD allows one to use it as a rescue disc.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!