View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:01 am 
does anyone know of a program, besides winmyth, that will allow another windows pc to watch whats on my myth tv box without having to download it to the windows machine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:04 am 
Samba.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:11 am 
i dont want to have to copy the entire file to the coomputer i want to STREAM the file SO I DONT HAVE TO DOWNLOAD IT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:24 am 
Have you ever used a MS-Windows shared network volume? Did you have to copy the file or did you just open it? BTW - If it was setup correctly the answer is "just opned it".

- Set up a Samba export on your KnoppMyth box (search the Forum and the Wiki for details).

- Point your favorite video player on the MS-Winfows box at the file on the new network volume it sees. (Search the forum and the Wiki for details). There's even a directory called "pretty" with nicer file names than the ones in /myth/tv.

- Play the file

OBTW - Just in case I forgot to mention, it given the necessary keyword, which in this case would be "Samba", a search of the forum should turn up all the detail anyone could ask for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:38 am 
tjc: so that basically means that you play the TV buffer file? thats fair enough, but is there a different solution, something like VLC? just curious, cause i want to be streaming over the network - though using samba and just using the file is fine with me since i have gigabit goodness :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:33 am 
There is MythStreamTV. There is actually a very long very active thread about it. It is not installed in KnoppMyth by default. I'm not sure which section the thread is in, but it should be close to the top cause It had at least one post yesterday. and it has mythstreamtv in the title.

Note: I'm not going to even start to comment on the ease of install I've never done it, but looking at the instructions looks like the install is still a bit rough.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:02 am 
yeah i just read a quick few things about it, seems that the problem lies with people not reading the README.... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:21 am 
mythstreamtv is what I am using...took a bit to setup but if you follow the docs on http://mythstreamtv.sourceforge.net/ you should be able to get it running.

its basically vlc (which requires a properly configured ffmpeg) streaming and some hooks in mythweb to aid in starting the stream.

I couldnt get it running on R4V5 but its running perfectly on R5A16. I also have streaming firectly off of my 250 for live tv.

that reminds me, I'm pretty sure it only works with mpeg2 PVR cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:48 pm 
tjc wrote:
Have you ever used a MS-Windows shared network volume? Did you have to copy the file or did you just open it? BTW - If it was setup correctly the answer is "just opned it".

- Set up a Samba export on your KnoppMyth box (search the Forum and the Wiki for details).

- Point your favorite video player on the MS-Winfows box at the file on the new network volume it sees. (Search the forum and the Wiki for details). There's even a directory called "pretty" with nicer file names than the ones in /myth/tv.

- Play the file

OBTW - Just in case I forgot to mention, it given the necessary keyword, which in this case would be "Samba", a search of the forum should turn up all the detail anyone could ask for.

your a real smartass i wish i could meet you in real life and slap the cabbage out of you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:41 pm 
pooface wrote:
your a real smartass i wish i could meet you in real life and slap the cabbage out of you

Ahh...that would be "you're".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:29 pm 
The problem with just telling people to do a search is that doesn't always help. For samba it was really easy to find although this thread was at the top of the results. But I've been searching for HOURS for how to setup my orinoco usb adapter and all I've found are people who reply to other people to search for the answer or other people who have mysteriously figured it out on their own then don't post anything even remotely helpful for anyone else that may have the same problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:29 am 
pooface wrote:

A note to newbies to the forum:

Please take the time to know who the contributors are on this forum before remarks of cabbage slapping are made. If you have read more than ten threads or so, you will encounter posts by tjc, Xsecrets, cesman, and several others. These are the people who know the answers to the questions you ask. Do not slap their cabbages. They will simply stop answering your questions or worse, ban you from the forum.

Note to pooface:

If you want to be taken seriously, don't act snarly when your question is ANSWERED. You may not like tjc's implication that you could have found the answer on your own, but he DID answer your question.

And pick a new online name. Just my opinion, but it's hard to take "pooface" seriously.

(As for me, I don't know anything, so you can slap my cabbage whenever you like. Slap it baby slap it.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:15 pm 
I generally try to ignore folks like this and figure they'll either end up winning a Darwin award or grow out of it. I always feel a little bad about the ones that can't seem to grasp a clue even when you put it in their hand and wrap their fingers around it, but that's what evolution is for... :|

This is a lesson from many years of experience with teaching both formally and informally. Some people already understand that the sesei is supposed to tap you with the clue stick. Some people get over their initial defensive reaction and learn it. Some people you just can't help no matter what and have to write off as a waste of time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:45 pm 
nullsmack wrote:
The problem with just telling people to do a search is that doesn't always help. For samba it was really easy to find although this thread was at the top of the results. But I've been searching for HOURS for how to setup my orinoco usb adapter and all I've found are people who reply to other people to search for the answer or other people who have mysteriously figured it out on their own then don't post anything even remotely helpful for anyone else that may have the same problem.

It can be frustrating to find certain things on the forum... but a search for Samba on the Wiki is really easy and produces quick answers.. so I would say in this case "do a search of the wiki" is an appropriate answer.