View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:41 am 
The Story

My office widow is about to become a bookshelf, and my radio reception is about to disappear. My company is adding on and my exterior office is now becoming an interior office :( I have been listening to a talk radio show for about ten years now and the am reception is about to disappear when they put the roof on the addition (any day now).

The show is streamed at http://stream.theedge1550.net:8500/wurp32 . Port 8500 is closed on our office network. The show is also streamed via some windows only applet. I tried grabbing the stream location and feed it to mplayer, but it just plays a little intro commercial then dies. My workstation is a Sun Blade 2500.

I know what you're thinking. The firewall is there for a reason, maybe you shouldn't be streaming audio, etc. I am not the system admin here, but I do have root privledges on most of the boxs here. The sys admin has no problem with me streaming audio as I listen to another show that is no longer broadcast in our area via mplayer (on an open port). Port 8500 will not be opened for only my listening pleasure, understandably.

The Solution?

I'm trying to figure out how to use -- if it's possible -- ssh to tunnel port 8500 from my Mythbox at home to my workstation at work and then use mplayer to listen to the stream via mplayer using the url avove. I did a bit of searching and found this page http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireles ... 3/wep.html which gave this example:

Code:
ssh -L 110:mailhost:110 -l user -N mailhost

I tried modifying this to read:
Code:
ssh -L 8500:mymytboxaddress.com:8500 -l mythtv -N mymytboxaddress.com

I was able to connect and all seemed well. When I fired up mplayer, it still couldn't connect. I'm assumming that I might be going about this all wrong. Should I be trying to use a proxy server instead? Can anyone give me some tips on how to get this done before I'm cut off from my radio?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:00 am 
Seems I might have been barking up the wrong tree. I tried doing this:

Code:
mplayer http_proxy://202.143.138.221/http://stream.theedge1550.net:8500/wurp32

After a long wait, I was able to hear a little audio before the connection went bad and mplayer gave up.

I guess what I need now is either a good and fast proxy to use, or to add a proxy server to my mythbox that I can connect to from work. Anyone know where I can begin in installing a proxy server on my mythbox?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:54 pm 
Here I go again, talking to myself. I guess this is another topic that not many people are interested in. I set up a proxy server (FreeProxy) on my windows box and all is well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:07 pm 
Hi Dinki,

May not be that a lot of people are interested. I for one have no need for a proxy server at the present time however am interested in some of the finer details in what you had to do to make it work. You never know what the future holds, and the knowledge may help someone else.

Thanks
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:57 pm 
Sure. What specifically would you like to know?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:16 pm 
Dinki wrote:
The Story
Code:
ssh -L 110:mailhost:110 -l user -N mailhost

I tried modifying this to read:
Code:
ssh -L 8500:mymytboxaddress.com:8500 -l mythtv -N mymytboxaddress.com

What you're doing here is forwarding all traffic from your office machine on port 8500 to port 8500 on your mythbox.

ssh2 -R port1:localhost:port2 user@mythhost

would forward all traffic to port1 on mythhost to port2 on your client.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:35 am 
Excellent. I'll give that a try.