View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:53 pm 
Okay, here's the deal. I have knoppmyth up and running here at home, and everything is working great. I use a wintv401 card from Hauppauge, so my .nuv files are software encoded as mpeg4 as I understand it. I can play these files on windows boxes with ffmpeg and mythtv filters, but ironically I can't figure out how to play on other linux boxes. I have a Ubuntu laptop, and would like to be able to my .nuv files with me without having to transcode into some other format first. I have mplayer, xine, and totem all working. What do I need to do to make these play my .nuv files?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:53 pm 
mplayer has a patch to make it play nuv files, but you'll probably have to compile it.

Xsecrets

Post subject: Thanks but....
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:04 pm 
Thanks, but I looked on the mplayer website and did not see any such patch. According to the mplayer documentation (sec.2.1.1.8. NuppelVideo files), mplayer will handle these .nuv files, but that's not the case for me. I'll try compiling with all the codecs and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:41 am 
I was trying to find some info on the .nuv file format and a read something that indicated the mplayer patch was not officially recognized by the mplayer developers yet. So maybe it's a third party patch that hasn't been implemented yet?

BTW, if anyone has links that describe the .nuv format, please post. I'm guessing nuv is a wrapper around MPEG4. I'm mostly curious how it compares to MPEG2 with respect to quality and compression.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:00 pm 
The NUV file is potentially a wrapper around or an alias for a number of different things. The default initial capture for a YUV card is RTJPEG, if you transcode these it's typically to MPEG4. If you have a PVR card the capture is MPEG2 and the resulting "NUV" file is really just an MPEG2 stream without the normal NUV info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:22 pm 
tjc wrote:
If you have a PVR card the capture is MPEG2 and the resulting "NUV" file is really just an MPEG2 stream without the normal NUV info.

In that case, can you just rename the .nuv to .mpeg and play it with mplayer or transfer it to Windose, etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:31 pm 
Quote:
In that case, can you just rename the .nuv to .mpeg and play it with mplayer or transfer it to Windose, etc?

yes, but only for hardware encoding cards like the pvrx50's, and only if you haven't transcoded it.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:31 pm 
Yes. For example xine is smart enough to ignore the file extension and recognize them as MPEG2 by the internal signatures.

Post subject: Confusing
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:15 pm 
Thanks, but now I'm more confused than before. My card uses software encoding, but I set the format to mpeg-4 (640x480) in the recording profiles of setup. I can take these files out of /myth/pretty and slap them on my windows machine and play them with wmp after installing mythtv filters and ffdshow from sourceforge (and adding a .mpg extension, which was done automatically with older knoppmyth verion, but that's no biggie). What is the challenge in linux? How can mythtv play these files without a hitch, but nothing else can?

I tried re-compiling mplayer, but ran into a glitch since ubuntu hoary uses xorg rather than x11 or xfree86. Needless to say I'm in over my head. Any one have any ideas?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:25 pm 
There is no challenge. MythTV can play them because, the format is modified for use with Myth. If you patch MPlayer (as was stated), you can then use MPlayer to play the files. If you have issues recompiling MPlayer on Ubuntu, perhaps you should query on the Ubuntu forum.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!