View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: A few general questions
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:32 am 
I've been reading a lot about KnoppMyth (and Myth TV) over the past few days, as I've been trying to understand if this is an option for me. I'm a total newbie to Linux, so I'm pretty lost at this point.

Before I dive into this and purchase some additional hardware, I wanted to ask a few questions....
1). Will KnoppMyth work, and recognize, a dual processor configuration (I have an old HP Kayak w/Dual 550's)? If it won't automatically, is there a way to manually set that up? (Remember I'm a newbie, so please provide a lot of detail....)
2). If you want to pause live TV, I believe you need both the capture card and some sort of TV output (either on the capture card or on a separate video card). Is this correct?
3). If #2 is correct, and you already have a TV out video card, which is better, the Hauppagge 250 or 350? I've seen a lot of problems getting the TV out to work on the 350, so I'm assuming that the TV out on a video card might be easier to get working.
4). If a separate video card w/TV out is the easiest route, does it matter which video card you have? I have an older 16M Diamond (I believe) card, so I was wondering how that might compare to one of the newer, high-end cards...
5). How easy or difficult is it to get a wireless network connection working w/KnoppMyth? I've seen a number of posts stating that they couldn't get the SSID stuff or WEP keys working properly, which my current wireless network setup would require. I have a Compaq USB wireless card, so if anyone has any specific experience on that, I'd appreciate some feedback.

I'll probably think of a few more questions, as I go along, but these are all I can think of right now.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:00 am 
1)Yes(default kernel for R4V3 with be uniprocessor.
2)Pausing live TV does need two tuners or a card with tv out. If you want to output to TV you'll need a card w/ TV out.
3)250
4)nVidia geforce 4 440 or above.
5)I don't use wireless

You're welcome,

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:07 pm 
wireless should not be that difficult if you get a card that is well supported. the problem being that only the G 54Mbps cards are fast enough to run a frontend, and drivers are scarce for these cards. If you just want to get guide data and weather etc then B is fine and if you get a card supported by wlan-ng it should be fairly easy to setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:52 pm 
As far as the wireless goes I use a D-Link dwl-122. You have to compile the drivers and edit some config files but it is pretty easy and it works great. I just use it to get the programming data, the weather and occasionally to copy TV shows to my windows machine to burn to DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:19 pm 
I finally got my hardware delivered and I'm about ready to give this a shot....

BUT, I'm still a bit lost on the wireless... Again, remember I'm a newbie to linux....

So can someone explain how to "compile the drivers" and "edit some config files"? Where do you get the drivers to compile? How do you compile them? Which config files do you edit? And, what do you edit on them?

Thanks,
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:25 pm 
so I'm guessing you went with the dlink suggestion instead of mine. I think there is a howto on the forums somewhere for it. I really wouldn't know cause I've never had to do it I use the one I suggested and there is no compiling or anything to do it just works just like any other wired NIC would.