View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:12 am 
I have two TV cards and the each has different input sources. I would like to be able to swap between the two TV cards while watching live TV. The only way I have found to watch the second TV card is to tie the frist card up by recording something. I have tried using "C" but that only swaps the inputs on the current card but doesn't swap the cards. I have looked at the key bindings and I didn't notice an obvious comand. If any of you know the answer I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:52 am 
V to bring up PiP.
N to switch.
B if you want to change channel in PiP.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:42 am 
Thanks for the reply but that didn't work.

V does bring up a PIP
B does allow me to change channels withing the PIP
but
N does not change tuner cards. It only changes swaps the channels between the two cards. But, since my two tuner cards have different input signals, they are unable to switch to eachother inputs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:27 pm 
Never mind... iI went to the mailing list and discovered that this is a known problem. Possibly it will be addressed in version .15 or maybe there will be a stand alone patch. But as of now, I have been unable to find a way to swap inputs while watching live TV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:07 pm 
I think I saw something that was posted a little while back, that said you press "C" to change the inputs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:14 pm 
turkish wrote:
I think I saw something that was posted a little while back, that said you press "C" to change the inputs.

That changes between inputs on the current card.

As a simple example of what atomclock is describing, he has cable feeding card 0, and a digital cable box feeding card 1. Both through their coax in connectors. Just for fun he hangs an external DVD player off of the s-video connector in on card 0, and a VCR through a composit -> s-video adapter into card 1.

If he is recording Friends off of card 0 coax, he can watch tech-tv on the digital cable box via card 1, or after pressing 'C', he can watch something off of his VCR also on card 1. He can also watch the recording that is on card 0 through the recorded programing menu, or other pre-recorded videos. However he can not watch a DVD on card 0.

A more accurat example of what he was describing is that if he is not doing any recording on card 0, and elects to watch live TV, there is no way for him to watch live-tv off of the digital cable box on card 1.

The primary reason this is not fixed yet is that there are not enough developers who have multiple TV providers yet. Theoretically I could have feeds from an antena, a cable directly to my capture card, a digital cable box, DirecTV and DishTV all comming into my system at once. I would probably distribute this amoungst a couple of slave boxes, however this does not change the situation described above.

In fact it causes problems because the logic for MythTV to capture video today is to start with card 0 on the master. Next up is whatever thinks it is slave0 card 0. Next up is slave 1 card 0. If each of these have multiple capture cards, next up would be slave 1 card 1, then slave 0 card 1, and so on. If there are sufficient slave boxes the likelyhood of ever getting back to the master card 1 decreases significantly.

This may be addressed by the recording system understanding that some video is only available from some sources, and being able to pick that a part of the setup. I don't think this works well for the user who just wants to watch what's on card 1 coax however.

The only way I can think of that you could watch something by preference on card 1 would be to start a live recording (manually) for that input, and start watching that recording. This would be a pain in the ass, but may provide a workaround.

-Rusty

- 200 G Segate Baracuda /myth/tv
- 3 Haupauge! WinTV PVR250s
- 19" Daewoo Monitor (1280x1024 ni)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:16 pm 
Here is a link to a discussion on the mailing list.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/ma ... ine#111320

The last post states that the capability exists in the current CVS version.