View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:25 am 
Hi,
Can anybody give me a list of steps needed to compile MythTV to use alsa in 5.1 mode? I hear sound only in front speakers. If I use alsamixer to set sound for rear channel as well, the remote is unable to control the volume for rear speakers. Even if I change the volumes, it affects only the front speakers.
I work mainly on Fedora but I have little(near zero) experience with Debian/Knoppix/KnoppMyth, apart from the fact that I installed Knoppymyth and I am quite happy with it.

Thanks in advance.

PappuKanghi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:52 am 
so are you running the sound out a spdif port? or just have 2 sets of speakers plugged in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:07 am 
Xsecrets,
I am using Creative's 5.1 speakers (5700). These are analog speakers and thus I do not need SPDIF. Under Fedora Core 1, I can play sound on all channels using XMMS/Mplayer etc. Volume control (in XMMS/Mplayer) works for all channels.
But in KnoppMyth, only fron channels are enabled by default. Rest are muted. Volume control via Myth works fine as long as I do not interfere with alsamixer. If I set volume of rear channels using alsamixer, there is no control over them by Myth. Even muting only mutes the front channels, sound keeps on coming from real speakers.

Thanks from

PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:43 pm 
Remove the Debian package. Untar the source, edit setting.pro(you'll want to change path to /usr) uncomment the part about ALSA. export QTDIR=/usr/share/qt3, export PATH=$PATH:$QTDIR/bin. Then compile... You may need portion of ALSA that are not installed, I don't know. For great details on compiling MythTV, please read the docs.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!