View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Can't Watch Videos
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 1:26 pm 
ok first off i'm kind of new to linux so i'm not exactly sure what i'm doing.

Ok so i did a fresh install. Everything seemed way easier than when I tried compiling mythtv a year ago. I first had a problem with the dvd player and ripper, but that was fixed after i installed libdvdcss. I set up webmin,a samba share, and mounted a network share on a windows machine with no problems. So I copied over all my videos from my windows machine after that.

My Problem is that I can't watch any of my videos that I copied over from my windows machine. Which mostly consist of xvid, divx and some mpeg's. When i try watching a video the "loading..." screen comes up for half a second then goes away and nothing happens. However I can still watch the xvid videos that were created with the mythtv dvd ripper.

Does anyone know whats wrong here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 4:35 pm 
This used to happen to me although I dont know what caused it, when i updated to R4V3 it started to work, although I renamed my files to shorter lengths. for example:

The.Cooler.2003.LIMITED.DVDRip.xvid-ALLiANCE.avi --> I would change
simply to just:

The Cooler.avi
and that seemed to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:00 pm 
ok so after messing with it for a while i finally figured out whats wrong. In xterm the files i copied from windows were in green, while the ones myth made were black. I'm a bit rusty on my linux but i'm guessing it had something to do with permissions. since i can't remember all the chmod numbers and all that stuff i just did a

chmod --reference=MythCreated.avi "older file.avi"

and it all worked out fine.

is there something i can change in samba so i don't have to do this for everything i transfer? and also is there some type of gui file manager i could use or install?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:33 pm 
well if I'm not mistaken green means executable, and a simple chmod a-x * in the dir should make sure none of the files are executable as none of them should be, however I don't really see how that would affect them playing. For samba you would heed to set the umask for the share so that it sets the permissions how you need them. I'm a little rusty on this, so I'll let someone else explain exactly what to put in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 1:27 am 
Wouldn't happen to have a link to where I could find libdvdcss would ya?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 1:49 am 
I don't want folks discussing css as a topic on this forum. It is illegal in the US. I've stated before, MPlayer and ffmpeg are both installed but hobbled due to legal reasons. Depending on the codec used in your AVIs, you may need to recompile MPlayer and ffmpeg.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!