View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:50 pm 
After my soundcard died, I decided it was time I upgraded to the latest KnoppMyth. So far very impressed, (except for the issues I've run into.)
Kudos to Cecil and to all the others who are involved in producing and polishing this phenomenal product. The slickest install so far. Up and running in no time.
Unfortunately I'm still struggling to get to grips with xorg, - the picture is a bit large but it's in the right colours and doesn't spit out errors. My old XF86Conf modeline doesn't seem to help (if anybody has a really good PAL-B modeline out there :) ).
Firefox didn't behave itself and I could only start it from the commandline in an xterm window and not from the web menu. The command in the setup was correct.
I need to investigate 'Pineapple' again. (I tried to follow the suggestions made here http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13633&highlight=pineapple but only the first one. Threw up some errors and would play the encrypted bit.
Sound... Can't seem to get my NF-S board optical out to work. This is after throwing out the old soundcard that died all of a sudden (and they were out of stock when I tried to order a new one.)
Why does Myth only look at eth0 in the post install setup?
Still, a quick and easy upgrade this time.
Even though I've a few issues to iron out... it is a good 'un.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:30 pm 
tophee wrote:
Unfortunately I'm still struggling to get to grips with xorg, - the picture is a bit large but it's in the right colours and doesn't spit out errors. My old XF86Conf modeline doesn't seem to help (if anybody has a really good PAL-B modeline out there :) ).

In Aus we use PAL-B. I tested R5F1 output to S-Video (TV is a Philips CRT) at 800x600 and the picture was just about perfect with the modeline supplied.
What is your specific issue with the output? If the picture is too big, have you tweaked the setup (over/under scan)? It could well be how your specific TV handles the output from your KM box.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:33 pm 
tophee wrote:

Check the X logfiles and make sure it's using the modeline you think it is. The switch over to xorg did require some config file surgery to get it to use the one I wanted. Once I did things were back as they should be.

Also make sure that your nvidia-settings are getting applied. It doesn't get added automatically to your /home/mythtv/.fluxbox/apps so you have to do it yourself.

tophee wrote:
Why does Myth only look at eth0 in the post install setup?

I think this is to keep it from trying to arbitrarily set up firewire as eth1, but I don't remember the specifics. You can always run netcardconfig manually...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:39 pm 
Also check to make sure that you don't have this issue: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15370

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:48 pm 
Thanks for the replies.

manicmike - you may be right with making adjustments in setup. Myth had kept my old adjustments pre xorg.conf

tjc - some good ideas for checking what myth is using. (it's been a while since I've rummaged around in the innards of my mythbox.) As it stands I have made what I believe to be the correct mods to xorg.conf - I manually copied the modelines over and commented out all the others. I started with the nvidia tv out version provided and renamed it to xorg.conf after correcting the regionalisations. I'll check the X logfiles. Oh and I don't think I have the xorg respawn issue, but I'll look into that one too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:18 am 
There are a bunch of builtin modelines which may be getting used. Checking the log file is easy and will give you a definite answer. There are ways to disable the builtin modelines if necessary to prevent this problem.

Also you shouldn't be doing overscan in the xorg.conf anymore, that is a job for nvidia-settings where you can tune it interactively.