View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:22 pm 
Hi,

Ya, sorry, should of mentioned that part. F1,F27 and several others don't come preloaded with ntpdate. Apt-get update then apt-get install ntpdate and you are good to go. :)

ntpd mainly does the "fine" tuning but it needs to be in the same ballpark to begin. I do believe if my understanding correct that over a very long period it will bring it into alignement.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:55 pm 
Ah, I see. I performed all the apt-get steps and put the line into the bootmisc.sh file. I should be covered now.

Thanks very much for the clarificaiton. :)

Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Post subject: in R5.5
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:42 pm 
I've upgraded to R5.5 since my last entry.
I have a call to ntpdate into my /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh file. (ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org), and I reboot once a week, so it should be run once a week.

Lately, I noticed that my recordings were starting about 30 seconds late.

I used ntpdate to resync the clock last night (May 5). (ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org)
My clock was about 40 seconds off.

Today (May 6), I just checked the ntp log (nano /var/log/ntpd) and the server has not made any log entries since May 2.

Then I checked to see if the ntp server was running (/etc/init.d/ntp status).
It was NOT running. I wonder why??
So, I just restarted it (/etc/init.d/ntp start).

Now, I'm thinking it would not be a silly idea to put a script to run ntpdate into the /etc/cron.daily/ folder!

As root, I just make a script and called it timesync and put it in the /etc/cron.daily folder. It contains the following:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
su ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org

I also did a "chmod 755 timesync" to make it executable.

Does that look correct?
Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:58 am 
In summary:

ntpd: background daemon that is supposed to be always running and making tweeks to keep the clock in sync. Since it is "always running", it will assume something is wrong and not update the clock if it is too far off.

ntpdate: command line tool to set the time according to the servers, no matter how far off it is.

BluesBrian's post above provides an excellent overview.

Post subject: yeah, I read those too
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:34 pm 
Hi Alien,

Yeah, I read those definitions and methods, too. The wiki article is suggesting that you use the crontab file to insert your cron job.

I'd like to put it in the cron.daily list of things to do. So, I'm looking for some validation of my execution.

:?: I assume it's legal to put jobs into the cron.daily and cron.weekly lists?

Eric

Post subject: working great in R5.5
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:08 pm 
This works great!

As root, I made a script, called it timesync and put it in the /etc/cron.daily folder.
I also did a "chmod 755 timesync" to make it executable.
It contains the following:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org

Prior to doing this, the pc clock would drift farther than the stock Knoppmyth R5.5 time correction could correct. Thus the clock got farther and farther off.

Adding this cron job shores up the weakness in the ntpd program and keeps the time LOCKED ON! 8)

Cheers!
Eric

Go to page Previous  1, 2