View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: MAME in R 5.5
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:01 pm 
Site Admin
I've decided to remove MAME from R 5.5. The reason I'm doing this, is the ISO I'm currently producing is 701 megs. Which is too big for a CD. This is a minor issue. I will not produce KnoppMyth on a DVD. One of the reasons KnoppMyth is so big, is because I also include all development files needed for someone to recompile MythTV, mplayer, etc. on the CD. R6 will be a binary only release. A meta-package of the development files will be available so if someone wants to compile, KMpkg install km-dev.

As XMAME has stopped producing releases, I've switch to SDLMAME. The version I've compiled is 0.124a. You can get it now:
Code:
cd /tmp
wget ftp://ftp.knoppmyth.net/R5/mame.tar.bz2
tar xjpvf mame.tar.bz2
md5sum -c mame.md5
su
mv mame /usr/games/

You can then you tjc's guide on backing up and restoring so it will be there when you auto upgrade to R 5.5. I may package this up as a deb... Then in setting up MAME in MythGames:
Quote:
/usr/games/mame -rp /myth/games/xmame/roms %s

Last edited by cecil on Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:47 am 
Thanks for the info. I will definitely use it when 5.5 comes out. I really like the ability to have mame on Mythtv

Post subject: still not functional
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:04 pm 
Just wondering if anyone as actually gotten mame working on 5.5? I've tried several configurations and all I get when I choose a game is a brief flash of the emulator coming up and then it closes. I can't find any errors listed in the frontend log or system logs about it so I'm at a loss what the problem is. SDLMAME does work fine on it's own so for now I'm running it from a shell to play games

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:09 pm 
Site Admin
Yes, it works fine. Run the frontend from an xterm (or look at the logs), try to play a game. After it fails, <alt><tab> to (xterm) see why it is failing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:19 pm 
Not sure what the combination was but I did finally get it working. One thing I did was got the latest sdlmame and built from source (shouldn't be the issue since the other mame was working fine anyway). The second thing was I put the entire system, binaries and all, into /myth/games/mame. That didn't fix it by itself either. Last thing I did was add the -rp switch back to the command line which I had omitted in later testing because it always worked without the switch from xterm. I suspect the combination of the binary and all files being in one directory, the working directory option putting the frontend into the right directory and the rom path option all came together to get it functional.

At any rate, it is fully working now and my 15 year old is going ga-ga over Gauntlet, LOL, Who needs a Wii?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:44 pm 
Site Admin
Quote:
Blue elf needs food badly.
Nothing beats the classics!

Post subject: Dolphin Project
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:36 am 
Hi Unicav,

There is also good progress for a Gamecube and Wii emulator (Linux and Windows). Yes the same program for Gamecube and Wii.

Have a look
http://www.dolphin-emu.com/

Some games are already full emulated on big machine.

But your right Cecil old classics game are often much better.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:40 am 
Quote:
All Your Base ....

Nothing beats being able to play these original arcade classics with MAME. I've been playing around with MAME since 2000 and still love it, that's why I'm thrilled it's directly accessible from Myth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:44 pm 
Odd problem I've discovered. If you have a shell open and run mythgame, mame sticks a cfg and nvram or control directory in the directory your shell is open to. I usually have a shell open I alt-tab to when I want to run something like mythvideo-scanner or may be renaming videos or such, and if I forget to go back to my $HOME directory or close it and later play mame games when I go back to the video directory I was in the mame directories will be there and I have to delete them.

the mame player settings are set to start in /myth/games/xmame so it shouldn't be using any other directory.

Post subject: Re: MAME in R 5.5
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:01 pm 
cecil wrote:
Then in setting up MAME in MythGames:
Quote:
/usr/games/mame -rp /myth/games/xmame/roms %s

I found that in order to get it working, I needed to leave all the roms in the /myth/games/xmame directory AND I needed to leave the game named as XMAME in the "Game Players" setup menu.

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:35 am 
Not entirely MAME related but anyone ever figure out a way to run some version of Dragon's Lair on their system? I have a copy of the 90's release on PC CDRom but it hardly worked then and I've never gotten it to work since. I've tried other systems like Daphne but I really hate the way it connects to bittorrent all the time and I've never gotten DL to actually run on it. Really loved that game and would appreciate anyone's ideas on getting it running on my mythtv box so I could play it on the big screen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:34 pm 
I got Daphne linux to run on knoppmyth with the Dragon's Lair HD dvd re-encoded files. Going to open another thread about getting the remote to work with it.

Post subject: -joystick
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:41 pm 
I believe you have to add -joystick to your config/ launch command line to add joystick support - it also seems to add joystick support automatically for dual joysticks (as opposed to /dev/input/js wildcard in xmame)

Quote:
/usr/games/mame -joystick -rp /myth/games/xmame/roms %s

I'm testing SDLMAME now finally. I fix my box and now R6 around the corner!