View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:19 am 
Hi everyone,
I've hooked up my myth box to the television temporarily by S-video, but the image is a little fuzzy and it's not particularly pretty. Ideally, I would like to use a resolution better than what S-video can give me, especially on the nice LG 32LB9D we use to watch television.
The solution, I thought, would be to hook up the VGA out from the VIA EPIA SP13000 in my mythbox to a scan converter (ConvergeAV, part VGA2CPNT, by StarTech), and run the component out of the scan converter to my Pioneer receiver. Alas, I can't seem to alter xorg.conf in any way that will produce an image when I switch the television input to "Component". Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Yannick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:54 am 
I don't understand why you would want to use a scan converter when your TV has a VGA input for direct connection. That would yield the best possible output for your Myth viewing pleasure. Page 31 of your TV manual shows all the refresh rates it supports -- up to 1920x1080 at 60Hz. You won't get better results going through the scan converter, I promise you!

P.S. The closest native resolution to your screen is 1360x768. I'd set up that as the output resolution of your KM box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:06 pm 
So how would I do that, exactly? What do I need to add to xorg.conf in order for it to work? I've tried adding "1024x768" to the Screen section of the file, but all I get is "invalid format" on the TV. I'm using the default xorg.conf that gets written to /etc/X11/ when you install R5.5.

Thanks!
Yannick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:32 pm 
Well, I solved my own problem. 1360 x 768 @ 60 Hz didn't work, so I just resorted to 1024x768 instead. Turns out whenever the S-video is plugged in, it overrides the settings in xorg.conf--I should have known this already, but I'm seriously a linux supern00b. The picture quality is great, though!

The reason for the scan converter (which I may try later on) is that I have a very computer-illiterate roommate who just wants her television to work, and I figured that if she doesn't have to change the input on the television to "RGB-PC" when it isn't already on there, it'll make things easier. Just leave the input on component and do the switching--which includes 5.1 surround sound audio--from the Pioneer home theatre box: press DVR for the mythbox, TV for the Wii, DVD for the DVD player, etc.

(That she has not yet gotten annoyed with any MythTV idiosyncracies is truly a testament to its G.A.F. Oh the cursing I would hear when the windows-based solution I had before would randomly crash for no reason right in the middle of Grey's Anatomy...)

Thanks again for all the help!
Yannick.