View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:12 am 
I'm running a R5.5 backend, along with a frontend at my TV, which is working perfectly. I just got my hands on an old XBox and installed the latest XBMC to use as a frontend on another TV. The XBMC forums indicate it can't access Live TV on a tuner with a number higher than 20. My tuner was detected as 65, and after trying to change it through the interface, is now 67. :-)

Is there a way to manually change the tuner's number?

Last edited by ccayer on Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:30 am 
Sorry, I don't have any answer on changing the number manually, but I read on tjc's 5.5 guide:

tjc wrote:
1.2.2) For fresh installs Tweaker reserves the first 64 slots of many numerically-indexed tables so that we can tell whether something was configured by Tweaker or by the user. Among other things this applies to the capture card ids.

It sounds like the tuner in question would have been added without the tweaker. If you don't mind losing everything on your backend, doing a fresh install might configure it with a lower value. But someone may know a better solution. I would imagine that a change in the database or finding the capture card tweaker and running it again might work. Hopefully someone will have some more specific directions for you.

Last edited by knappster on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:17 am 
In the backend setup just drop all the tuners and then re-add them manually. That should start the tuner numbering at 1.

Britney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:05 pm 
I understand how to delete the tuners in the interface, but I'm not clear on how to add them manually. When I manually chose the options for the the same tuner, it just incremented the number by 1.

I think I'm missing something obvious...

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:20 pm 
ccayer wrote:
I understand how to delete the tuners in the interface, but I'm not clear on how to add them manually. When I manually chose the options for the the same tuner, it just incremented the number by 1.

I think I'm missing something obvious...

Thanks!

Judging by tjc's quote, I think that any tuner you add will be higher than 64. You would probably have to tinker with database entries to get them below that. But if you were to do a fresh install it auto-install them starting at 1, but you would lose everything that you currently have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:35 pm 
knappster wrote:
But if you were to do a fresh install it auto-install them starting at 1, but you would lose everything that you currently have.
According to tjc's quote, "For fresh installs Tweaker reserves the first 64 slots..." I would assume ccayer would be right back where (s)he started :wink:

ccayer wrote:
See my post about truncating the capturecard table here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:34 pm 
slowtolearn wrote:
knappster wrote:
But if you were to do a fresh install it auto-install them starting at 1, but you would lose everything that you currently have.
According to tjc's quote, "For fresh installs Tweaker reserves the first 64 slots..." I would assume ccayer would be right back where (s)he started :wink:

I did a fresh install over the weekend with a Hauppauge PVR-500 and HDHomerun attached and they were automatically setup as tuners 1-4. It reserves 64 slots and uses them for cards that it automatically detects as far as I can tell. The cards above 64 would be anything manually added after that. Unless the slot # does not directly correspond to the tuner #.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:23 am 
Do exactly as brfransen said and drop all the tuners but here is where I think you are having problems.

First go to your Master Backend Machine
Alt - s for backend setup
2. Capture Cards
Now delete your capture cards. You have two to choose from.
    1. Delete all capture cards on Mythtv (Mythtv here is your Host name)
    2. Delete all capture cards
If you choose #1 you will delete only the capture cards on the host machine that you are currently on. Even if you have no capture cards on any other machine you can't reset the data base to zero or your other backends would be effected if you ever added a card. You never truly delete anything you only deactivate your current tuner # and increment tuner # on reinstall.

If you choose #2 you will delete all capture cards on all master and slave backends and your capture card count will be reset to zero. This is what tjc means by loosing them all. You only loose whats in 2. Capture Cards and 4. Input Connections

Things I do to get logical understandable tuner layouts in your menus
    1. Give each of your machines logical host names you recognize and do not use the default Mythtv for every one. The word Mythtv is used to way to often for passwords and labels and it is confusing for anyone trying to understand the system. Make them unique never leave them as Mythtv.

For Host names I use.
      MythMBE for my master backend
      MythBE1, MythBE2 for my frontend / backends
      MythFE1, MythFE2 for my frontend only
    2. Drop all capture cards with Delete all capture cards to restart the numbering sequence.

3. If you have any capture cards that can record multiple sub channels all at once (like the pcHD3000) you have to set your Maximum Recordings to (2) (3) (4) on the Recording Option page to however many that would be useful.

Example if you installed only one pcHD3000 card on your clean system and set the maximum recordings to (4) and you also installed the analog tuner section of this card you would end up with 5 tuners for one card that can tune to only one channel at a time.
      Tuner 1 DVB:0
      Tuner 2 DVB:0
      Tuner 3 DVB:0
      Tuner 4 DVB:0
      Tuner 5 Video0
    Use your head here. If you don't have any channels that transmit more than two data streams it makes no sense to have the Maximum Recordings set any higher than two. If you change this setting after you install another card it is first come first served and your sequence will be out of order.

4. Naming your capture cards. Under 4. Input Connections When you bring up your menu and use the switch input function the name you give your card will be here. These names are also used when using MythWeb. In my case I have 3 pcHD3000 cards using DVB:0, DVB:1, DVB:2 and a HD Homerun port 0 and 1
      pcHD3000
      pcHD3001
      pcHD3002
      HDHR-0
      HDHR-1
My System
It is only practical for me to capture two data streams. All my stations are digital so I don't use the analog section.
    Tuner 1, MythMBE, pcHD3000, DVB:0
    Tuner 2, MythMBE, pcHD3000, DVB:0
    Tuner 3, MythMBE, pcHD3001, DVB:1
    Tuner 4, MythMBE, pcHD3001, DVB:1
    Tuner 5, MythMBE, HDHR-0, HD Homerun port 0
    Tuner 6, MythMBE, HDHR-1, HD Homerun port 1
    Tuner 7, MythBE1, pcHD3002, DVB:0
    Tuner 8, MythBE1, pcHD3002, DVB:0

TVBox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:46 pm 
knappster wrote:
slowtolearn wrote:
knappster wrote:

I did a fresh install over the weekend with a Hauppauge PVR-500 and HDHomerun attached and they were automatically setup as tuners 1-4. It reserves 64 slots and uses them for cards that it automatically detects as far as I can tell. The cards above 64 would be anything manually added after that. Unless the slot # does not directly correspond to the tuner #.
Huh, a fresh install automatically configured my Dvico Fusion HDTV lite as #65. Perhaps I did something during the setup by poking around that caused this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:11 pm 
Well, that was WAY easier than I was expecting....

brfansen was correct, in that I needed to drop the tuners and re-add them.

TVBox was also correct, in that I only used option 1 in the backend setup to delete the cards, not option 2 to delete ALL the cards. The naming conventions are also a great idea, as "mythtv" is too vague when dealing with multiple systems.

Once I did that, the new tuner I created appeared as # 1, and Live TV on XBMC started working.

Many thanks!
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:00 pm 
TVBox wrote:
Things I do to get logical understandable tuner layouts in your menus

This is great stuff and ought to be a wiki article. RUN to the KnoppMyth Wiki and put this up there now!