View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:30 am 
Being a long time user of KnoppMyth what will be the benefit, if any, of having freeview here?

Any comments?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:51 am 
Girkers wrote:
Being a long time user of KnoppMyth what will be the benefit, if any, of having freeview here?

Any comments?

Thanks

Hi Girkers,

It's explained at http://www.freeview.com.au/#/what_is

Basically, they're just saying that there will be a couple of extra digital channels this year.

Regards

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:53 am 
It started Jan 1 2009, the networks have known about it for ages and what have they done....

Nothing at all. To be honest I don't think they have the extra content to use the other channels up.

15 channels, well Ten is going to kill TenHD and replace it with OneHD and put 24/7 sport on it and dupe it to OneSD as well. So two channels taken by one, then normal Ten will remain the same. So no more HD normal shows only sport. They should have made the HD a mix of both.

Nine, no information given yet on what they are going to do, same as Seven.

ABC and SBS have been using what they can with abc1 & abc2 for ages, and abc3 (kids) in the pipeline.

All in all seems like the govt on a marketing stunt to try and get people to buy new tvs or set top boxes and move to digital.

Its already caused so much confusion due to the naming the little information they have given in the ads. Over xmas I was asked by many family and friends about the new 15 channels, i said same rubbish you won't see anything better.

HD it is the big looser in this I feel. Ten have already as of Jan 1 just started duping the SD channel so no extra shows that the regular channel was not showing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:38 am 
I had read the freeview website and have seen the TV ads, so really it is nothing more than a name for something I have been watching for over two years with my digital tuner in my KnoppMyth box? Oh except for the new "content" that the commercial channels are now able to provide.

I had read somewhere that the reason the commercial FTA stations were not able to broadcast multiple channels was to assist with the uptake of Foxtel. And this deadline finished on the 1st of Jan 2009.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:50 pm 
jbman wrote:
Ten is going to kill TenHD and replace it with OneHD and put 24/7 sport on it and dupe it to OneSD as well. So two channels taken by one, then normal Ten will remain the same. So no more HD normal shows only sport. They should have made the HD a mix of both.

Pretty sure this is not the case. Ten HD (Ch 12) will remain, and One HD (Ch 1) will serve different content (this is the sport channel). Have a look at their FAQs http://www.freeview.com.au/#/faqs

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:36 pm 
They can't run two HD channels.

It will be ch1 OneSD and 12 OneHD a dupe and then 10 TenSD

Details about the changes http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2008/10/one ... limbo.html

Either way its a step in the wrong direction for HD content in Australia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:49 pm 
jbman wrote:
They can't run two HD channels.

It will be ch1 OneSD and 12 OneHD a dupe and then 10 TenSD

Details about the changes http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2008/10/one ... limbo.html

Either way its a step in the wrong direction for HD content in Australia

It seems to be true, but you may want to quote from the source, rather than an old blog. http://www.tencorporate.com.au/library/documents/Network%20Ten%20announces%20new%20sports%20multi-channel%20ONE%20-%2028%20October%202008.pdf

No more Sci fi Thursdays :(

Mike