View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:55 pm 
I've received my comcast "digital adapter". Its a small box that tunes the standard-def digital channels and pumps them out in analog on either channel 3 or 4. I'll set 1 up so that my PVR150 can continue to record shows.

Has anyone else gotten one of these yet and developed an appropriate IR blaster configuration file for it yet?

Marc

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:01 am 
I've learned that this device is a Pace DC50x. I checked the LIRC repositoryand they don't have anyting for the DC50X. They do have the codes for device dc420n -- I might give that a try in the hope that all "dc" series boxes use the same IR codes. Otherwise, it looks like I'll need to pick up an IR USB receiver to record the remote that came with the DC50x. If I go down this path I'll probably purchase a streamzap.

Any alternative suggestions would be appreciated...

Marc

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject: Is this what you have
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:24 am 
Hi There,

Is this the device you have:
http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/ ... +(Set-tops)/All-Digital+QAM+Set-tops/DCT700_US-EN

If so it is a motorola DCT700 All-Digital Cable Set-top. They are very common in my area.

If that is not it here is a link to all the types of boxes offered by comcast
http://www.comcast.com/corporate/custom ... opbox.html

hope this help

Paul

Asus M2NPV-VM - 1GB RAM - 40 GB Hard Disk - StreamZap
Frontend_2
Dragon 1.0 w/ 2G RAM - 40 GB Hard Disk StreamZap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:40 am 
Paul, thanks for replying. That is not the box and its not listed at the Comcast page your referenced -- here is an imageof the Pace DC50x.

The key question at this point is figuring out how to create an IR blaster file for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:43 pm 
I read the wiki writeupon using the PVR-150's integrated IR blaster. The article includes a method for searching all IR codes that the PVR-150 is known to support. Using this methodology I was able to get it to control my Motorola DCT-6200, but I was not able to get it to control the new Pace DC50X. Still searching for a solution...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:27 pm 
marc.aronson wrote:
Still searching for a solution...

You may want to consider buying a serial-based homebrew IR receiver and trying to make your own lirc config file for it (the homebrews are the best at this task). No guarantee that this will work but it seem like there may not be one out there already so this may be your only course of action...

Of course, you could also build your own... :o http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:48 pm 
poflynn wrote:
You may want to consider buying a serial-based homebrew IR receiver and trying to make your own lirc config file for it (the homebrews are the best at this task). No guarantee that this will work but it seem like there may not be one out there already so this may be your only course of action...

I've subsequently learned that this box uses an IR protocol known as XMP, so I guess the question is if the PVR-150's IR blaster understands XMP. I've sent an email to Hauppuage, but haven't heard back yet. If the PVR-150 IR blaster can deal with XMP, then your suggestion would be a good one.

I've also learned that the IR blaster sold at www.usbuirt.com will work with the DC50x, but I don't want to spend $50 for an IR-blaster...

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:09 pm 
marc.aronson wrote:
If the PVR-150 IR blaster can deal with XMP, then your suggestion would be a good one.
Marc

Let me detail my suggestion a bit more... First off, I was suggesting you skip the IR blaster in the 150. Not that I think it won't work, but if you can't find a config file that will, my suggestion might be a good plan B.

Buy an serial port-based IR receiver AND a serial port-based IR blaster from here http://www.irblaster.info/

Next, use the IR receiver to attempt to 'learn' from the remote control (i.e. run irrecord or winlirc, put it in record mode and point the comcast remote at your IR receiver and see lirc can generate a config file for you).

Test the generate file above by blasting the codes to your comcast box using the IR blaster & lirc.

I have both and live in the SF bay area if you're interested in borrowing from me. Alternatively, I can mail you my spare IR blaster (if you promise to mail it back :)) but I am using my IR receiver and can't do w/o it for long.

Note that not all remotes can be learned this way, but it's worth a shot if you're stuck.

irrecord: http://www.lirc.org/html/irrecord.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:47 pm 
I found out that Comcast will cut off the analog above channel 30 soon.

Comcast gave me both a Pace DC50x (They will even give me another one for free if I need it) and a Motorola DCT700. Which one would be easier to setup with the PVR-150 IR blaster?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:45 am 
It winds up that Comcast is now providing expanded basic "in the clear", so I don't need to use the set top box -- I can record them directly using my clear-QAM digital tuners. For those that want to use the DC50X with an IR blaster, someone just posted info over here on how to use the $12 blaster from www.irblaster.info

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:48 pm 
Here is a link to a full write-up on how to do the setup for the PACE DC50X Comcast box.

http://regx.dgswa.com/html/node/134

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:58 am 
This setup went very well for me using the steps listed above. One additional request is to get the raw codes for channel up and channel down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:43 am 
mkaz wrote:
This setup went very well for me using the steps listed above. One additional request is to get the raw codes for channel up and channel down.

Which article did you follow (three given) and can you post a link to the IRBlaster that you're using? Also, which script are you using in the mythtv GUI to change channels?

I am now faced with this task (no more analog) but I have the same "digital adapter" the op talked about. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:15 pm 
Sure. for R5.5 that is.

1. Get the blaster

This irblaster, the standard one. http://www.irblaster.info/

It will plug into one of your com ports. If yours aren't labeled, just try com1 and switch it to the other port if it doesn't work.

2. Tell mythbox how to tell the dc50x what to do.

Get the dc50x raw code button file to your mythbox and put it in /etc/irblaster and call it irblasterd.conf. Go to section 3.1 of http://regx.dgswa.com/html/node/134 and that is the file.

3. turn on irblaster in myth, if not already on.

Turn on your irblaster by running the setup and it will generate the channel change script (channel_change.sh) located in /etc/irblaster. It may not have the dc50x as a choice, so just pick other if that is the case.

4. tell myth which remote you are using.

You will need to edit the channel change script so the REMOTE_NAME line is

REMOTE_NAME=DC50x

so it matches the name in the above .conf file

5. Tell myth to use a script to change the channels.

turn off the frontend and run mythtv-setup. Under Input Connections is a place to enter the name of the channel change script. Restart the frontend.

That should mostly do it. I am sure others will fill in if I left something out.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:53 pm 
I am using a different approach for dealing with the situation, as described here.

Go to page 1, 2  Next