View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:15 am 
Hello All,
I have a question about the LinHES beta version and the release of the finally LinHES version (ie R6). I am currently overseas but will have access to my Mythtv Box for a short period of time when I am back home. I was thinking to install the beta version of R6. My question is when the final release of R6 is done will there be a way that I can remotely upgrade the box? Eg using SSH and then running some commands etc etc... and use the package system up upgrade the new bits of LinHES???
I am after some advice as it might be better to wait until the final R6 is release and do the install then. Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Robert..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:37 pm 
Ease of upgrade was one of the reason for the switch from a debian based system to an Arch based system. Upgrading just becomes a matter of running the pacman command and letting it download and install the current versions, as well as running any necessary upgrade scripts. Search for "pacman" should find several examples.

Aside from testers verifying that the install works properly or disaster recovery, users should only need to install R6+ from a CD once and then be able to upgrade as needed.

On the other hand, if you're not going to be around to support it, R6 might not be the best choice yet. While it's reasonably stable and most things have shaken out pretty well there are still some things which just aren't done yet. See the flyspray issue tracker for the known items and to get an idea if they'll affect you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:02 am 
Site Admin
Code:
ssh -l mythtv ip.of.back.end
sudo pacman -Syu
sudo reboot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:44 pm 
But what about things like RRD or other stuff that may be added by the time R6 GAs? Maybe nothing like this will be added but it seems to me that something might be added that a simple pacman update might not catch... This is why I have held off 'going live' on R6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:12 pm 
You can also use pacman to add packages and list what is available...