View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:06 pm 
I am currently running R5.5 on a master backend and a slave as well. I am having some issues with the slave BE and was thinking about going ahead and putting R6 on it. Anyone done/tried this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:22 pm 
The answer is: NO.

Do NOT try to mix R5.5 with the R6 Preview. Either upgrade both systems at the same time, or create a new MBE with R6.

The NEW R6 MBE can be on the same IP subnet, but DO NOT point it to any R5 systems and vice versa.

Just in case: Run a BACKUP of you R5 systems. Be safe, and save yourself a BIG headache, OK?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:12 pm 
We've had a number of people get burned due to the automatic DB updates that occur when a FE or SBE with a newer DB schema version connects to an older back end DB. Not recommended...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:02 am 
Is there a reason why MythTV is set up to break like this? This has been true for a while now. It seems that, if it causes such problems when a newer schema connects to an older schema, there should be some code in there to keep that connection from happening.

I'm just curious if there's a practical reason for the behavior, or for not building in a check to prevent it from causing problems.

(And yes, I'm also asking because in the course of trying out R6 under VirtualBox, I connected to my 5.5 back end. :? )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:30 pm 
ceenvee703 wrote:
Is there a reason why MythTV is set up to break like this?

I think the best answer is that the developers are NOT interested in any legacy software support. That's just the way things go. You have to remember that MythTV is still not a 1.0 version, so backwards compatibility isn't a requirement.

Do I agree with it? Maybe. Maybe not. I haven't upgraded my R5F27 systems because they still 'just work.' It's technically out of date, but it works fine for me.

The User has to decide if it's worth the price (or headache) to upgrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:26 am 
larrybpsu wrote:
ceenvee703 wrote:
Is there a reason why MythTV is set up to break like this?

I think the best answer is that the developers are NOT interested in any legacy software support. That's just the way things go. You have to remember that MythTV is still not a 1.0 version, so backwards compatibility isn't a requirement.

The MythTV developers have created an amazing system, but that is just stupid. What would be so hard about giving the user a warning before upgrading the db? It also annoys me when projects use their unconventional versioning scheme as an excuse for things like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:22 pm 
Site Admin
The next version of myth will warn about updating the database. In fact unless your force it, the masterbackend will be the only component that can update the database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:01 pm 
C'mon folks....

It's FREE software, that you CHOSE to download/install. You therefore assume the risk of messing things up.

That's partly WHY I'm still at R5F27. I don't want to mess anything up on my MBE/SBE and FE. I'm missing some features that I'd love to use, like storage groups and new drivers, but I'm hesitant to make that plunge. Why? I have about 2TB of video/music that just works, and I 'm enjoying it.

LinHES goes beyond the basic MythTV issues of compatibility, and I support the developers, but it's still MythTV in there. I'll wait for confirmed reports of compatibility, or I'll take my own time to test it to my satisfaction. If it messes up my systems, it's MY fault....not the developers. MythTV/Linux is NOT produced by Microsoft!

For historic value, I've NEVER had and OS upgrade work flawlessly. NEVER. Even if it was DOS (PC or MS), Windows 3.x - 95 - 2000, XP. Even OS/2 upgrades were a major headache. So are Linux upgrades! My own experience is to RE-INSTALL from scratch, and be safe, than find out that left over baggage causes you problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:49 pm 
I got the answer I needed, so I will be upgrading both. It is a worthwhile debate, but as far as I am concerned, I am perfectly ok with the limitation. For a "Free" product, it is awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:10 am 
Site Admin
Actually, you can. But it is best to have an R6 MBE and R5 slaves. Certain things are far easier w/ R6.