View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:51 am 
OK, I can't figure this out. Maybe someone else can.

My wife wanted to watch the news last night due to all the Michael Jackson / Farrah Fawcett hubbub, but needed to watch it in the kitchen while she cooked for a potluck we're going to tonight. So I quickly downloaded and unpacked a OS X version of mythfrontend and got it playing on my MacBook Pro.

Connection to the network was 802.11g, so I told my wife she might see stuttering when we were watching HD. Actually, I wasn't sure it would even work over 802.11g. But, to my surprise, I hit Watch TV, and streamed NBC's HD signal from my backend, over 802.11g, with only an occasional slight pause. It looked great.

After the national news was over, she still needed to watch something while she finished up. So I went into Watch Recordings and brought up an old Oprah that she hadn't watched yet.

This time, with a SD recording (720x480 4Mbps), I got persistent pauses and stuttering, so much so that it made it unwatchable. As opposed to a 1080i Watch TV stream (1920x1080i, at least 12Mbps) that was almost perfect.

So my question: What the heck?

Thanks for any ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:45 am 
It may be the playback profiles that are in use for the two different formats. Try changing it to cpu++. That should cause it to use the same decoding method for both but, might break HD playback also.

Not sure if thats your problem but worth checking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:08 am 
What are the sizes of those two files (look in front end's delete files to see size) relative to their length (time)? I bet that 1080 show was not really 1080 by the time it got to your laptop.

The only HD that I can get to go over my 80211g (gets a solid 2.1 MB/s when running a test with scp) is not really HD, it is just digital 480.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:25 pm 
cliffsjunk wrote:
What are the sizes of those two files (look in front end's delete files to see size) relative to their length (time)? I bet that 1080 show was not really 1080 by the time it got to your laptop.

Had to be 1080i... it was the nightly news broadcast, it was on the NBC affiliate's HD channel, I was watching live TV, and it looked good (1080i) and not bad (480i).