View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:01 pm 
I am looking at putting LinHES on an old XEON server at a school I work at and in connection with a HDHomeRun will be using as only a MBE. The clients will all be Windows XP computers so I was just going to allow them access to the pretty directory to watch there show through VLC.

A couple of questions:
1. Can LinHES connect to the internet through a secure proxy that requires a username and password?
2. For programming information I was simply going to use EIT, will this suffice?
3. Is there a better way to allow ease of access to the recordings and possibly videos than just using directory access? I am aware of MythWeb, but I have never had success streaming from there.

Any other thoughts or comments on this implementation that people could suggest. Looking forward to hearing all your thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:53 pm 
Girkers wrote:
1. Can LinHES connect to the internet through a secure proxy that requires a username and password?
2. For programming information I was simply going to use EIT, will this suffice?
3. Is there a better way to allow ease of access to the recordings and possibly videos than just using directory access? I am aware of MythWeb, but I have never had success streaming from there.

1. In your /home/mythtv/.bashrc (or .profile - not sure which is read on LinHES), you need something like
HTTP_PROXY='http://<username>:<password>@<proxy-name-or-IP>:<proxy-port>'
http_proxy=$HTTP_PROXY
export HTTP_PROXY http_proxy

Of course, anyone who has shell access will be able to read this file (and therefore the 'secure' credentials
2. For Australia, yes - in theory. In practice the ABC1 EIT guide is very limited (I still only get a couple of hours in advance most days) and schools rely very heavily on the ABC. Why not get the proxy working and install shepherd or something ("something" being my script at http://www.better-access.com/KM/tv_grab_au) and use oztivo?
3. Export /myth/pretty as a samba share with credentials?

Mike

P.S. I have sold Aus Dragons to schools, and have experienced their firewall nightmare. PM me for anything you have trouble with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:51 pm 
As far as the Access to the recordings.

I plop Mythtvplayer on any of those type machines. Simple interface and gives you the details about the recordings.
The best part, you don't have to open a Samba share either.

I do believe however it will allow someone to delete the files if you are concerned there is probably a setting to prevent that.

hth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:15 am 
I like the idea of MythTVPlayer but I have had some problems with it on recent versions of MythTV. Didn't development stop on this and thus would not work fully anymore, it would be good as you could just copy the directory, no installation needed.

Would solve the codec problem quite easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:03 am 
I have version 0.4.2 and I am using R5.5 It works great.
Definitely you can change a setting in the config file to prevent deletion of files.

I know they were working on a 0.5 version or something like that but so far I haven't seen a need. In looking at it's documentation it will also allow you to read and play from a Windoze directory as well.

Might be worth a shot for your implementation and it actually is really simple to use for a new person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:13 am 
Here's another vote for MythTV Player. I'm using 0.4.2 as well with LinHES R6.

I also have a Samba share of the /myth/pretty directory, but I have almost no use for it, between MythTV Player and a MacOS frontend.

According to FAQ for MythTV Player, recordings can be streamed from a Samba share, so you could just set read-only permissions on that directory, and viewers would not be able to delete recordings.