View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:24 pm 
A real world example of why using UUIDs in fstab is a good thing:

earlier this year I upgraded my server PC from a dual PIII setup to a more up-to-date Athlon architecture. The dual PIII motherboard only supported ATA66 therefore I had an PCI ATA100 controller. Due to this the four onboard controllers were hda-hdd and the four PCI ATA card controllers were hde-hdh.

You can just image the pain that would have ensued if I had just simply removed the old PIII motherboard and PCI ATA controller and hooked the drives (formerly hde & hdg) up to the new motherboard with onboard ATA100 controller allowing them to be detected as hda &hdc.

Prior to the swap I converted my fstab to use UUIDs then did my hardware upgrades. Everything can up perfect first reboot, RAID arrays and all. Without UUID I would have had to boot the system from a boot CD, initialize the RAID arrays (not the easiest thing in the world from a boot CD), mount the file system, chroot into environment and edit fstab (hoping I get it right the first time) them un-mount everything and re-boot.

Oh, one last thing. GRUB should be updated to use UUID as well.

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:21 pm 
Martian wrote:

Excellent suggestion, please open a flyspray ticket to that effect if there isn't already one http://linhes.org/flyspray/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:36 pm 
kmkittre wrote:
Just trying to make sure that Arch wasn't secretly some weird ice cream flavor like bean sprout ;-)

More like Chinese red bean paste. ;-)

(BTW - In case you've never tried it, red bean paste is incredibly tasty and makes a great ice cream flavor. Think something like almond paste/marzipan only better.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:33 pm 
tjc wrote:
Martian wrote:

Excellent suggestion, please open a flyspray ticket to that effect if there isn't already one http://linhes.org/flyspray/

My UUID experience was on a Gentoo box. I have no idea how Linhes handles this. That said, If fstab is using UUID and Grub isn't then a ticket should be filed.

I would prefer someone "in the know" confirm and address this as I have no Linhes or Flyspray experience.

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:53 pm 
Martian wrote:
My UUID experience was on a Gentoo box. I have no idea how Linhes handles this. That said, If fstab is using UUID and Grub isn't then a ticket should be filed.

I would prefer someone "in the know" confirm and address this as I have no Linhes or Flyspray experience.

Grub is using the UUID.

Go to page Previous  1, 2