View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:00 pm 
I'm running R5.5 and having trouble with adding or deleting satellite channels from the Input Source which is my PVR-150 card.
Sorry, this may get long, but I want to be clear about the problem and what I've tried thus far. Put on your Sherlock Holmes hats! ;)

I use the s-video input of a PVR-150 card to record video from my Directv receiver. After getting it set up and tweaked, it works fine. I use it to watch financial programs on CNBC every day.
I have my list of desired satellite channels in my Schedules Direct account. I deleted over 1/2 of the channels from my SD lineup so I would not have to waste time each day downloading data for channels I don't want to watch.

Recenetly, I wanted to make a few channel additions and deletions. I can't acomplish either task! I'd like help figuring out why.

Satellite channels on Directv start around 75 and go up to 1000. Your local tv market channels (over the Directv system) are all down below 75. I had noticed that my local channels of 2, 4, 5, 9, 11, etc, were in my channel lineup because they were on Directv. I wanted to delete these channel numbers because I get those channels over the air with a pcHDTV HD-3000 card. I tried to do this in Mythweb. I looked at the channel list (clicked the Settings button, chose TV and then Channel Info) and clicked the boxes in the Delete column of the channels I wanted removed. I then clicked SAVE at the bottom of the screen. When the Channel List screen refreshed, the chosen channels were gone, as desired. The next day the deleted channels were back in the list! I've tried deleting those local channels several times and have never succeeded. They always come back!

In the last month, I wanted to add a few channels from the satellite that I didn't have in the list previously. Before trying to add new channels I made a Knoppmyth Backup. I started by allowing those channels in my Schedules Direct channel lineup. I then went to the Mythtv setup screens. I used ALT-2 to take down the back end. I used ALT-S to bring up the setup screens. I went to Video Sources and then picked Directv (my input for Directv channels). I thought I could add satellite channels like I did 18 months ago. I selected Schedules Direct as my listings grabber, chose Directv Linup as my Data Direct lineup and then clicked on the Retrieve Lineups button. When it was done, I hit ESC and went back to the Mythtv Setup Menu. I chose Channel Editor to see if my newly desired channels were added. They were NOT. I do not understand how they could come back after being deleted?!

Next, I decided to see if deleting all the Directv channels and re-adding them would fix this. So, in that same Channel Editor screen, I selected the Directv channels and hit the DELETE CHANNELS button. They were deleted. So, I went back to the Video Sources choice in the Mythtv Setup Menu and chose the Directv source. As before, I selected Schedules Direct as my listings grabber, chose Directv Linup as my Data Direct lineup and then clicked on the Retrieve Lineups button. When it was done, I hit ESC and went back to the Mythtv Setup Menu. I chose Channel Editor to see if my newly desired channels in my Schedules Direct list were added. They were NO channels listed under the Directv Video Source! It didn't add ANY channels using the Schedules Direct list?! At this point, my satellite viewing was destroyed! So, I restored my Knoppmyth backup and all my satellite channels were restored.

So, that is where I am now. I can't delete satellite channels (unless I delete them ALL) and I can't add satellite channels. I don't know how to get around this.

I'm pretty sure the outlined methods are the ones I used to add satellite channels into Mythtv 18 months ago. I don't understand why it doesn't work now! Could my database file be locked somehow?

Help appreciated,
Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Last edited by neutron68 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:01 pm 
I just changed my lineup last night.

I logged into Schedule Direct and made the changes I wanted to the lineup. I also clicked the link on their page about re-adding a linup due to software problem just in case. Then I went to mythtv-setup #3 and chose delete all sources. (it's my only source, you can hit D on the one you want to delete) I re-added the source, fetched channels, setup the inputs (#4), downloaded icons(#5), and ran mythfilldatabase from the commandline after starting the backend. Channels I deleted are gone, new channels I added are here.

I also changed the mythfilldatabase command so that if Schedules Direct added new channels, they wouldn't automatically get added to my mythbox.
Setup->General->page 7->mythfilldatabase --remove-new-channels

Not sure if this helps but it worked for me.
Warren.

edit-> I believe the delete all sources actually drops and re-creates the table in the database. So if that table was corrupted in anyway preventing changes, it should fix it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:02 am 
Thanks for the idea, goofee. I hadn't noticed that message on the Schedules Direct page:
Quote:
Due to a rare software problem, if you think you're missing some stations, try to Re-Add your lineups

I just clicked their link. Before I go and delete all my video sources and channels, I'll see if that Schedules Direct website link fixed the channel import problem.
If not, then I guess I'll focus on the database as the problem.

Are there any others that have experience with my symptoms?

Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:07 am 
Wow. The Schedules Direct fix seemed to do the trick! I would not have guessed that something Schedules Direct did would screw up Mythtv.

Last night, I tried adding my recently-added Directv channels. As before, I selected Schedules Direct as my listings grabber, chose Directv Linup as my Data Direct lineup and then clicked on the Retrieve Lineups button. This time, the new channels were in the channel list when I looked in the Channel Editor screen!

Now, I need to see if I can delete the undesired channels and keep them from re-appearing in my Mythtv channel lineup.

Eric

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:50 am 
I didn't have to delete the capture cards or video sources!

My reported problems seem to be solved after I clicked on that "fixit" link on the Schedules Direct website:
- channels I delete, stay deleted
- channels I add in Schedules Direct, now appear in my channel list after a click of the Retrieve Lineups button

Thanks for the tip goofee! :D