PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:57 am 
Hi,
I've just installed firefox and flash via pacman as a superuser:
Code:
pacman -S firefox
pacman -S flashplugin

And I get this error from an x term:
Code:
(firefox.bin:7973): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Could not create per-user Gnome application-registry directory: /home/mythtv/.gnome/application-info

(firefox.bin:7973): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Deprecated function.  User modifications to the MIME database are no longer supported.

(firefox.bin:7973): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Deprecated function.  User modifications to the MIME database are no longer supported.

(firefox.bin:7973): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Cannot open '/home/mythtv/.gnome/application-info/user.applications' for writing
and this one from firefox itself:
Code:
 Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: dbus-launch failed to autolaunch D-Bus session: EOF in dbus-launch reading address from bus daemon
)
Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: dbus-launch failed to autolaunch D-Bus session: EOF in dbus-launch reading address from bus daemon
)
)
)
)
)
)
)
)

Anything to be concerned about? What needs to be done to correct?

Thanks

Last edited by tophee on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Firefox Errors
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:55 pm 
tophee wrote:
Code:
paacman -S flasplugin

please clarify: You didn't actually enter the line above, right? It has two very obvious errors.
If not, please try and be accurate with what code you have actually entered.
If that is what you entered, you will definitely get a syntax error, followed by a package not found error.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:26 am 
Oops.
No you're right - that is wrong.Typo occured whe putting that post together.
Now corrected to read
Code:
pacman -S flashplugin

I believe I typed the command in correctly on my LinHES box. It found the packages and installed them. I will go back and check later today.
The errors produced were copied by highlighting and pasting into the post directly - so no human error there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:26 pm 
Make a tmp directory in mythtv's home directory.
since this is needed it should be in the firefox package.
I'll add a flyspray for it because I dont have time to fix it right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:45 pm 
Site Admin
Interesting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:53 am 
Hi,
Still getting some errors, but an improvement I think. I created a tmp directory in /home/mythtv

On starting firefox from the command line, I get:
Code:
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".

and I'm still getting this from within firefox itself. It's in a popup box entitled "An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for firefox.bin. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly"
Code:
)
)
)
)
)

However, most things seem to work. I can watch videos from You tube ok, but the sound is a bit quiet.

Thanks
Chris

oh, almost forgot... checked what commands I used to install - the mistake was when typing into the post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:46 pm 
hmm... I had been getting those dialog errors until I created the/home/mythtv/tmp directory and then they went away. If you are still seeing the error, I wonder what else changed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:53 pm 
Well, I removed the ~mythtv/tmp dir and rebooted and the dialog errors came back. Then I recreated the ~mythtv/tmp dir and rebooted and I was still getting the dialog error. So im not sure what is causing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:11 am 
Do I need to upgrade the permissions for the /home/mythttv/tmp file or something?
I created the tmp folder as a superuser, should I have done that as a regular user?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:43 pm 
Yes. Most of the stuff under /myth should be owned by the mythtv user. The exceptions are the backup directory which should be owned by root, and the mythweb related ones which should (under R5.5 anyway) be owned by www-data.

Everything under /home/mythtv should be owned by the mythtv user.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:55 pm 
Sorry about the /home/mythtv/tmp directory advice. It turns out that that was a total red herring. I think sometimes firefox can remain running with no windows open, so when you open another window, it doesnt need to start firefox again and you dont get the error dialog again. That led me to think that adding the /tmp directory helped when in fact it didnt.

I have subsequently found that if you have gconfd-2 running when firefox starts, you dont get the configuration errors.

Try it out:
Code:
/usr/lib/GConf/gconfd-2 &
firefox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:33 pm 
I found this post http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=75858 which seems to suggest that the LD_PRELOAD of libGL which was done to solve the firefox crashing when using flash full screen problem makes dbus-daemon segfault which causes the error dialog.

By running /usr/lib/GConf/gconfd-2 before exporting LD_PRELOAD in the firefox launch script, it seems to have solved the problem. I'll update the firefox package to see if it helps others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:15 am 
the new firefox package is up. Let me know if it helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:11 am 
Hi Greg,
I have been away for the weekend and haven't had a chance to follow up. I'll be back home later. I'll remove firefox and flashplugin and have another go. Will report back.
Many thanks.
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:36 pm 
Hi Greg,
Finally got around to trying this. After removing via pacman and reinstalling I was still seeing the error messages. Which repository did you update the the new package to?

Go to page 1, 2  Next