View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Anyone using 0.22 yet?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:10 am 
I'm thinking of doing a pacman -Syu this weekend and one of the items listed in the packages is "mythtv-svn: Bumped to 0.22-fixes svn 22494"

I was curious if anyone is running mythtv 0.22 yet and what their experiences have been. Is it fairly stable? Since the upgrade to R6 we've had some issues with the mythfrontend locking up or hanging more often and I don't want to make it worse...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:54 am 
I've been running it for a few months. The reason was because I wanted to get some HD-PVR encoders so I could finally record HD from DirecTV. Before upgrading I could only record 480i. I had been running 20.1-fixes so I figured upgrading to 0.22 was better than upgrading to 0.21.

Things are running very well. I have run into 3 problems:

1) LiveTV is hit or miss with the HD-PVR. We don't do much LiveTV in our home so it hasn't been much of an issue. With Mr. Harris' last build of svn I did have some success with LiveTV but again it failed last Sunday. I'm almost certain LiveTV with other encoders is fine, or at least that is what I have read.

2) I tried using storage groups for MythVideo, a new feature.. But using storage groups for MythVideo REQUIRES the use of the Internal player. I had been using mplayer on 0.22 with great success. But liking the idea of storage groups I switched over. I found out the Internal player had issues with playing bluray rips with DTS audio encoding. The AC3 files played fine.

3) Sometimes playing a recording would result in no video, just audio. This problem has not occurred since the last update. One could "fix" it by hitting 'W', the key that cycles through the video display modes (stretch, full, etc).

So we work around the LiveTV issue by just starting a recording instead and then just start watching - which works fine. And I switched back to NFS for MythVideo and use mplayer.

Other than that, all is good! Also installed this theme in our theater:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Blue_Abstract_Theme

which uses the new 0.22 mythUI enhancements. Very nice.

There are a couple of threads to show you the way to 0.22. Here is one:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19656

Cecil started a second that summed this one up but I can't find it right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:09 am 
Thanks for the reply. Oh, and upgrading to 0.22 should be as simple as pointing to the testing repositories and running a pacman -Syu. As I said before, I just don't want to be jumping out of the pot and into the fire with regards to system stability...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:25 am 
I hear you. Since I did this a few months ago, I built a new backend and ran a client on a different subnet to not interfere with the "production" system in our home. After a few weeks of testing I switched over one weekend when my family went out of town (left me to babysit the pets at home!).

Anyway...that was my route to 0.22 which entailed new hardware including the HDPVRs instead of the PVR250s. One would think your trek would be easier. Hopefully others will respond too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:37 am 
Hi,

As feedback I'm using 0.22 SVN22636.
I was compiled, installed manually over 6.08.00 as MBE and in my distro based on minimyth as 3xFE
General impression is very positive.
22636 has some minor issues for me (i.e. issue with DVD playback speed)
Regarding stability: after 2 weeks of usage I would say stability is comparable with 0.21-fixes in daily usage (I have it on my production system). If You will test every function - there will be some segfaults, but they are in very rare usage cases.
My recommendation is: 0.22 is definitely ready for normal, production usage (except issues with DVD player)
br