View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:39 am 
After installing R6 on Friday, I've been having intermittent problems with system hangs (actually about 9 boots out of 10). Generally this occurs right after X is loaded and the theme background image is being displayed and before the main menu is displayed. Often the Caps-Lock LED is flashing when the system crashes. The only recourse is a hard reset or power cycle. It also happens intermittently when MythTV tries to display any menu (such as after pressing "Back" on the remote, or exiting from a Setup screen).

I've been suspecting the Nvidia 96xx driver. I'm using the old GeForce FX5200 AGP video card. I tried displaying RenderAccel in xorg.conf, and adding the "nopat" option to the server line in /boot/grub/menu.lst, and it booted a few times in a row after that. However, today it hung again (with just the theme background displayed with no menu) while navigating the menus. Interestingly, this time the mythbackend kept running, and I was able connect via webmin. The last few lines of everything.log were as follows:
Quote:
NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 9, Channel 00000001 Instance 00000000 Intr 00000010
NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 29, L1 -> L0

I'm also seeing these messages in Xorg.0.log:
Quote:
(EE) config/hal: couldn't initialise context: (null) ((null))

I've done a "pacman -Syu" and it said nothing needs to be updated. Any recommendations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:50 am 
Site Admin
try running mythtv with the qt painter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:21 pm 
I checked under Setup/Appearance and I was already using the "qt" painter, so I tried switching to "opengl" painter instead. I am happy to report that I haven't seen another system crash since switching to "opengl" on Sunday. Jams, thank you very much for the suggestion to try another "painter" option!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:32 pm 
Site Admin
well not what I expected, but glad to have helped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:51 am 
Oops, spoke too soon. I can now report that the system is crashing when displaying MythTV menus regardless which "painter" I have selected. The issue seems to be timing sensitive. For example, disabling the "alt-H for help" popup seemed to aggravate the issue. At the moment I can't even boot up unless I quickly press Ctl-Alt-F1 when the LinHES screen appears and then I switch back to the MythTV menu a few seconds later using Ctl-Alt-F4 (after the menu has been "painted").

I ran nvidia-bug-report.sh and sent the log off to NVidia to see if they have any suggestions. I presume that others are successfully using the GeForce FX5200 video card with R6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:19 am 
no2u wrote:
I presume that others are successfully using the GeForce FX5200 video card with R6.
Yes.
AGP FX5200 at 1080p over dvi to hdmi
3.2 Ghz P4 cpu
1gig ram
LinHES R6.01 upgraded from R5.5
cpu++ profile
not using xvmc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:23 pm 
While your symptoms don't scream "heat related" the 5200 chip is know to get quite toasty. I had a passively cooled AGP 5200 where the thermal grease pretty much burned up causing all kinds of weird problems. Cleaning off the old paste and replacing with high quality thermal grease fixed it right up.

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:33 pm 
I just had a thought after looking at the RRD pages on my R5.5 production system and thinking "almost time to reboot before the leaks eat all the swap"...

If you're not running RRD it might be worth enabling it to see if there's any system usage issues occurring. Exhausting all of the memory and swap is a good way to get a crash...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:00 am 
Thank you for the suggestions. I don't believe it's overheating or resources since the crash will often occur right after a cold boot when trying to display the main menu (I guesss I'm assuming that 1GB of RAM is enough for simply booting up). Once I get it past that point, it seems like the only time I have issues is when going through the menus to make configuration changes. For example, I used the system successfully all last week (watching recordings while concurrently recording from 3 tuners and burning a program to a DVD), but if the system is idle and I simply click through any of the options in "LinHES Configuration" (in this case trying to find a check-box to enable RRD), the menu is blank (and the system is completely locked) after I click "Finish" or "Cancel" and it just tries to re-paint the "LinHES Configuration" menu. Strange...