View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:33 am 
Lost power last night and on reboot the frontend comes up, but when I try to use knoppmyth I get message "Master backend not running - are you sure you have IP correct?". this machine is a combined backend and frontend.

I rebooted a few times, but the same thing happens. I did a restore and still same problem. I can ping the knoppmyth server from another PC on the network so it appears to be conected to network. I checked in general setup and master backend is "localhost".

I will try to restart the masterbackend but why doesn't it start on its own? What could have become corrupt on sudden power loss that does not get restored?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:31 pm 
Is the backend actually running? try stopping "Alt 2" and starting "Alt 1" the backend. The stop the backend and go back into setup "Alt S" and check your settings. My computer didn't like the order of my cards and was constantly re-arranging the card numbers on every boot.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:56 pm 
I restarted my backend by running
Code:
/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend restart

and confirmed it was running by
Code:
pgrep -l backend

Still get the same message: "Master backend not running - are you sure you have IP correct?". So it appears the issue is my frontend can't see my backend (both on the same machine). Since this occurred right after my house lost power,could it be related to my knoppmyth server getting a new IP address from DHCP? It is now 192.168.1.101 and it was not this before (think it was .103 or .104).

In General settings the backend is listed as "localhost".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:48 pm 
In a terminal what happens if you do a:
Code:
ping localhost

?

If it just hangs, then that would explain it because "localhost" does not exist. For giggles I did this on my backend and sure enough localhost is not defined in my /etc/hosts file.

Personally I always make my machines with a static IP. Especially a machine that is running a server. I know yours is still "standalone" but still if it was me I'd make it static.

Also I would use the IP address it was getting from your DHCP server. Which I assume is a router on your network. Of course you should then change the range of IPs your router is issuing so it doesn't give that IP to another machine in the future.

Another thing you could do is add

127.0.0.1 localhost

to your /etc/hosts file. That might get you farther. I suspect that you will lose your mysql settings for your frontend - mythtv usually uses the IP address to save any settings you made. I would think that would again be that original IP you were using.

Really the best solution IMHO is to make the machine a static IP, and use the IP you had that was working. Then you will not have to muck with changing settings for your frontend.

I'm sure thats all clear as mud :)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:41 pm 
Thanks. I was considering going static IP. Once I get this sorted out, I will go static. It makes sense now that I realize mythtv can't handle an IP change.

But now I have another question. What I did last night only confused me more.

I set the backend address to the DHCP allocated address and the system started working. BUT all the programs recorded are older and the most recent programs don't show up. If I look in the "pretty" directory they are still there, but not listed in the application. At this point I must confess to doing a restore before this but I thought restore did not touch the database only the program settings.

Is there a way to get the database to reflect what's in the pretty directory?