View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:34 pm 
Maybe it's just me, but I seem to remember that the OSD (the channel number, show description, etc.) were color at one point.

Well, with my current R4V2 setup (with the OSD hack to increase the size of the description area here: http://www.mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=622) all of the OSD has gone to black and white.

So, I guess I have 3 questions:

1) Is B&W normal these days?
2) Anyone else seeing this?
3) Any ideas on what to twiddle to fix it?

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:14 pm 
If you are using xvmc or pvr350 tvout or the via mpeg2 acceleration (basically anything that accelerates the playback) you will get black and white osd If you are not using any of those things I don't know what to tell you cause you should get the color osd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:56 pm 
Ahh, yes, I did choose xvmc during install.

So, that brings-up another question: Is xvmc really useful to have? I'm running an Athlon 1600 (1.4GHz) with a PVR-250 (soon to be 2 hopefully) so I'm not sure if I need it, but I figured that since it was supposed to help, why not... I remember reading a cesman post that you can just uninstall the xvmc debs and install another -- will that hose-up any of my config files or anything (I'm a deb semi-n00b here ;) )

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:00 pm 
Site Admin
No, it will not hose up your config files or anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:35 pm 
If you have only pvr250's with that much horsepower you'll probably be fine without xvmc if the colored osd is important to you. It doesn't offload as much cpu as a full mpeg2 hardware decode, but it helps. The only time it would really be necesary as long as you have a beefy cpu is if you are using the pchdtv card as those mpeg2 files are very large high rez and require lots of cpu to decode.

Post subject: fear xvmc
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:08 pm 
xvmc can be dangerous with some nvidia cards & drivers. My recommendation is to stay away from xvmc, especially if your using the nvidia drivers shipped with R14V2 (in /usr/src) as that driver doesn't play nice with XMVC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:48 pm 
I am using the shipped drivers. I'll yank the xvmc debs tonight and try another. Thanks for the advice/tips everyone!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:38 pm 
did they update the nvidia drivers for r4v2? I know r4 shipped with the version that worked fine with xvmc. although it also shipped with myth 0.12 which had problems with xvmc, but I've never experianced any problems since I upgraded to 0.13 then 0.14, however I haven't touched my nvidia drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:18 pm 
It is the same version 4363 and until another version comes out w/ support for TV out overscan that will be the version that will be included.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:05 pm 
ok cool I didn't think you had updated it, but I haven't heard of or experianced any problems with those drivers in relation to xvmc either. You'd think that now 3 versions later they could have fixed the tvout overscan stuff that they broke. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:15 pm 
Xsecrets wrote:
If you are using xvmc or pvr350 tvout or the via mpeg2 acceleration (basically anything that accelerates the playback) you will get black and white osd If you are not using any of those things I don't know what to tell you cause you should get the color osd.

so if you did any install-ix86-?x commands the x needs to be removed? if so can you tell a n00b how to do this? I want l bug not x in order to get color OSD back right?