# RAM: 1Gig DDR2 800 ($99)
# CPU HEATSINK: Stock Athlon
# NORTHBRIDGE HEATSINK: Stock ABIT
# CD/DVD: Some Panasonic DVD-ROM I stole from an old machine
# HDD: None (in backend)
# GRAPHICS CARD: On-board Nvidia GeForce 6150
# SOUNDCARD: On-board HD Audio
# TUNER CARD: None (in backend)
# REMOTE CONTROL: None (yet... looking at the StreamZap)
# TOTAL COST: $387

I struggled a bit to get the (great) diskless frontend script to work. I think the problem was my gateway, though, not this setup. It should have worked fine, but the gateway causes some NFS timeouts. How I solved it is here: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10098&start=75.

Also, I tried to run this with 512Mb RAM initially. The GeForce 6150 steals RAM for it's own memory, making it impossible to launch mythfrontend. An upgrade to 1 gig cleared that right up.

Super silent! My only complaint might be it's long startup time and (infrequent) pauses trying to access stuff over the network. However, that's a small price to pay for a quiet, attractive, inexpensive frontend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:11 am 
I am trying to choose between your ABIT NF-M2 motherboard and the highly popular ASUS M2NPV-VM. I like the ABIT because of the standard SPDIF connector. I like the ASUS because of its huge popularity on this forum and because it includes component video output as an option for HD output.

Are you using this system for HD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:26 am 
john.lofgren wrote:
I am trying to choose between your ABIT NF-M2 motherboard and the highly popular ASUS M2NPV-VM. I like the ABIT because of the standard SPDIF connector. I like the ASUS because of its huge popularity on this forum and because it includes component video output as an option for HD output.

Ditto.

I like the fact the a lot of people seem to be using the M2NPV-VM motherboard (including cesman) but getting hold of the optional S/PDIF bracket seems to be quite difficult. Here in the UK I've found one supplier so far who wants to charge £17 for it (including postage and VAT)! That's £10 more than the difference between the M2NPV-VM and Abit NF-M2 nView.

The trouble is my current TV only has SCART, SVIDEO, and composite inputs available so the included HDTV/AV/S module with the M2NPV-VM motherboard appeals. I'm currently testing KnoppMyth with a nVidia FX6200-based graphics card, outputting via SVIDEO, and it looks great!

The other drawback with the M2NPV-VM motherboard would seem to be that using the HDTV/AV/S module and/or S/PDIF bracket takes up a slot or two. When using a HTPC case (mATX motherboard) you might only have four expansion slots available. I'm already thinking of having to mod the case to provide S/PDIF if I went the Asus route.

I think I'm leaning towards the Abit NF-M2 nView myself as it seems a good excuse to buy a new HD-capable LCD TV!

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:44 am 
yep... using for HD content via the DVI to a 22" WSXGA+ (1680×1050) LCD monitor. i imagine DVI to HDMI would work really well, too... not sure how you'd do if you're looking for component, though. if you need s-video or component out, i guess you could temporarily add a cheap fx5200 until you buy yourself a nice, big HDTV.

i haven't tested out the SPDIF yet (still researching and saving for a surround reciever). i've messed around a little with the analog audio outs, though, and they seem to work fine.

the motherboard hasn't provided me with any issues at all. i definitely recommend it if you just need the DVI out. it's a great excuse to get a giant lcd monitor or HDTV!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:26 am 
This is very similar to my new system except it's a combined FE/BE. In case any of you haven't seen my upgrade thread it is here:

http://www.mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewto ... highlight=

I also was deciding between the ASUS and the Abit and finally went with the Abit. I've been very pleased with the board so far. My system has been rock stable. I am driving a 32" LCD via DVI -> HDMI and it is beautiful!

Here is a thread on my woes of getting the DVI -> HDMI to work:

http://www.mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewto ... highlight=

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:15 pm 
Quote:
I also was deciding between the ASUS and the Abit and finally went with the Abit. I've been very pleased with the board so far. My system has been rock stable. I am driving a 32" LCD via DVI -> HDMI and it is beautiful!

Martian, thanks for feedback. I've been reading your threads, and I think I will probably join several others in your slipstream with this motherboard. I'm planning on using the HDHomeRun, however. Thanks for your work and continuous postings!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:04 pm 
I too will be using an HDHomerun as soon as Uncle Sam sends me my tax return :) . I can't wait to go HD!!!

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:49 pm 
Hi Lostmyshape,
What sort of diskless boot operation did you use? PXE, CD-boot or USB-boot?
What speed is your network?Is it wired or wireless?
Would upgrading to a Gigabit or SuperG network fix network latency?
Can you use a remote? Since your Tuner is in the backend, are remote commands transmitted to the backend via the frontend?

Apologies if I asked Newbie questions, I'm new to Knoppmyth.
Thanks,
--Edvoon

lostmyshape wrote:
# Video type: HDTV
# Type of system: diskless front-end
# Noise level: I can barely hear it from 5 feet away

# CASE: Antec NSK 2400 ($100)
# PSU: Built-in 380W ATX12V v2.0 Power Supply
# MOTHERBOARD: ABIT NF-M2 ($93)
# CPU: Athlon 64 3800+ Orleans ($95)
# RAM: 1Gig DDR2 800 ($99)
# CPU HEATSINK: Stock Athlon
# NORTHBRIDGE HEATSINK: Stock ABIT
# CD/DVD: Some Panasonic DVD-ROM I stole from an old machine
# HDD: None (in backend)
# GRAPHICS CARD: On-board Nvidia GeForce 6150
# SOUNDCARD: On-board HD Audio
# TUNER CARD: None (in backend)
# REMOTE CONTROL: None (yet... looking at the StreamZap)
# TOTAL COST: $387

I struggled a bit to get the (great) diskless frontend script to work. I think the problem was my gateway, though, not this setup. It should have worked fine, but the gateway causes some NFS timeouts. How I solved it is here: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10098&start=75.

Also, I tried to run this with 512Mb RAM initially. The GeForce 6150 steals RAM for it's own memory, making it impossible to launch mythfrontend. An upgrade to 1 gig cleared that right up.

Super silent! My only complaint might be it's long startup time and (infrequent) pauses trying to access stuff over the network. However, that's a small price to pay for a quiet, attractive, inexpensive frontend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:42 pm 
pxe boot with the script that comes with knoppmyth. it's really a super tool. much thanks to the guys who created it. all you need to know about it is on the wiki or at this thread: Diskless Frontend - NFSroot.

i'm using a wired gigabit network, but slower should work fine. latency isn't bad. the boot is slow (~2 min), and sometimes the frontend takes a while to load the database for recorded programs. however, video is flawless. i tried to get jumbo frames working, but this seems impossible on pxe boot. the lastest version of pxe can't send a frames setting over 1500 to the frontend, so it can't connect with a jumbo frames-enabled backend and boot.

if you have 802.11n, you should be able to do this wirelessly, but i don't think 802.11g is quite fast enough for HD. if you're totally SD, though, i think this will work fine over g.

i think many others are using remotes with this type of setup. i have wireless keyboard/mouse, so i've been sort of dragging my butt with setting up a remote. shouldn't be a problem, though. the remote should control your frontend, which does all communications with the backend.

good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:00 am 
Thanks for replying :D

Just another couple of questions.
There appears to be several Abit NF-M2 versions - NF-M2S and NF-M2 Nview. Which one did you use?
Is the PXE ROM built-in to your MB, or did you have to get another NIC?
Since the front end is essentially a thin client, is it still possible to Surf the net/do word processing/display photos on it?

Would you mind posting your Backend setup?

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:53 am 
i have the nview, which can boot via network as part of the bios (w/built-in network interface).

except for the long boot-up time, you wouldn't know the machine had no hard drive. it is essentially a clone of your backend at the time you run the diskless frontend script. it also shares the /usr dir of the backend, so any program you install there (browser, open office, joost w/wine, etc.). is usable by the diskless frontend. i actually have kde with koffice and opera (with it's awesome zoom-in) running on mine.

my backend is here: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13589

it's a great, super-quiet cheap frontend. however if the appletv were around when i built this, i might have taken a serious look at it. i think people are starting to get mythtv with HDTV running on it. might not be worth the time it takes to hack the appletv to save ~$50-100, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:22 pm 
Has anyone tried the ABIT AN-M2 ($85)?

The ABIT NF-M2 is hard to find (ie-old).