View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: ASUS P1-AH2
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:59 pm 
Video type: HD

Type of system: MBE/FE

Noise level: Barely hear it from 5 feet away. (Actually 5 inches away.)

CASE, PSU & MB: ASUS P1-AH2 Barebones

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

HDD: SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB

DVD: ASUS 18X - DRW-1814BL - OEM

RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 1GB CM2X1024-6400 - Retail

Tuner: Kworld 110 ATSC

Video: Onboard graphics w/DVI out

Remote: Streamzap

I’ve been using this setup for four months or so with very, very few complaints. The barebones setup is small, cool, quiet, heavy and feature rich. The KM R5F1 < F27 upgrade went as smooth as can be. Video thru DVI to a 32� HDTV looks fantastic. Analog sound installs perfectly. (At this time I don’t use the optical out, which is located on the front of box – weird – or the built in card reader.)

The only xorg.conf change I made was adding the mode (“nvidia-auto-select�) in the Display 24 section. As I hate messing with modelines and such, so I let nvidia do it for me.

To get MythMusic to work I needed to type in the correct audio device (ALSA:default) in setup. For some reason it wasn’t selectable.

To get the Kworld 110 to ‘fit’ in the case took a small bit of effort at assembly time, but nothing too hard. (NOTE: The ATI HDTV Wonder [that I have] did not fit this case as it is too big. Basically any PCI card that extends past the top of the bracket will not fit in this case.)

I would recommend round IDE cables (if needed) for this case as the PSU fan exhausts all hot air from the case and air flow can be reduced with the included flat cable. This case is designed as a tower, but I have been using it horizontally through the heat of summer without issue. (NOTE: I couldn’t get mbmon to work with this MB, so I don’t monitor/log these temps.)

I originally purchased this setup to run as a diskless FE, but because of it’s stability I turned it into my MBE/FE.

Post subject: Re: ASUS P1-AH2
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:08 pm 
Too Many Secrets wrote:
Video type: HD

Type of system: MBE/FE

Noise level: Barely hear it from 5 feet away. (Actually 5 inches away.)

CASE, PSU & MB: ASUS P1-AH2 Barebones

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

HDD: SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB

DVD: ASUS 18X - DRW-1814BL - OEM

RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 1GB CM2X1024-6400 - Retail

Tuner: Kworld 110 ATSC

Video: Onboard graphics w/DVI out

Remote: Streamzap

I’ve been using this setup for four months or so with very, very few complaints. The barebones setup is small, cool, quiet, heavy and feature rich. The KM R5F1 < F27 upgrade went as smooth as can be. Video thru DVI to a 32� HDTV looks fantastic. Analog sound installs perfectly. (At this time I don’t use the optical out, which is located on the front of box – weird – or the built in card reader.)

The only xorg.conf change I made was adding the mode (“nvidia-auto-select�) in the Display 24 section. As I hate messing with modelines and such, so I let nvidia do it for me.

To get MythMusic to work I needed to type in the correct audio device (ALSA:default) in setup. For some reason it wasn’t selectable.

To get the Kworld 110 to ‘fit’ in the case took a small bit of effort at assembly time, but nothing too hard. (NOTE: The ATI HDTV Wonder [that I have] did not fit this case as it is too big. Basically any PCI card that extends past the top of the bracket will not fit in this case.)

I would recommend round IDE cables (if needed) for this case as the PSU fan exhausts all hot air from the case and air flow can be reduced with the included flat cable. This case is designed as a tower, but I have been using it horizontally through the heat of summer without issue. (NOTE: I couldn’t get mbmon to work with this MB, so I don’t monitor/log these temps.)

I originally purchased this setup to run as a diskless FE, but because of it’s stability I turned it into my MBE/FE.

A question:
-I have one of these as my living room remote frontend. It had been performing perfectly for a couple of years, no complaints. Recently, I managed to roach the myth setup on this box by trying to install software that...well, roached the system, so I reinstalled R5.5. I must have made some changes to the BIOS that myth didn't like, and I can't remember what exactly I did, but the box would play for hours and hours and be fine, then suddenly lock-up...total hard lock, forcing a button-press restart. Sometimes it would hard freeze within a few minutes of startup.
Tonight, I got so frustrated that I reset the BIOS defaults (F5), made a few necessary changes (video device, halt on no errors), and now it is back to performing perfectly so far (cross my fingers).

Any ideas here? Have you made any BIOS settings changes of any significance?

Thanks in advance.

-sTv

Drives: 500Gb IDE; IDE DVD-RW
Mobo: eMachines
Tuners (Analog): PVR-250
Tuners (Digital): DCT-6200 Motorola Cable Box, HDHomeRun (OTA + cable)

Post subject: Re: ASUS P1-AH2
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:30 pm 
Too Many Secrets wrote:
The only xorg.conf change I made was adding the mode (“nvidia-auto-select�) in the Display 24 section.

(NOTE: I couldn’t get mbmon to work with this MB, so I don’t monitor/log these temps.)

Hi,

I just read the definition of Tier 1

Quote:
If your system works 'out of the box' with KnoppMyth and does not require additional configuration

It seems that yours doesn't actually fit here. Am I incorrect? You had to tweak a few things, one of which was modifying the xorg.conf. Sounds more like Tier 2, which is:

Quote:
If you've installed KnoppMyth and had edit any file to get things working

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:48 am 
I don't remember doing any changes in bios after the initial setup, but it's been awhile.

As for the Tier 1/Tier 2, maybe your correct Mike. It was a couple years ago that I posted this and I didn't really think that KM (or anyone) was handling xorg flawlessly at the time. It seemed like a minor tweak.

In R6, everything seemed to go very smooth in my upgrade. I haven't done a clean install with R6. Also might look into upgrading bios, if there is something newer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:00 pm 
Too Many Secrets wrote:
I don't remember doing any changes in bios after the initial setup, but it's been awhile.

As for the Tier 1/Tier 2, maybe your correct Mike. It was a couple years ago that I posted this and I didn't really think that KM (or anyone) was handling xorg flawlessly at the time. It seemed like a minor tweak.

In R6, everything seemed to go very smooth in my upgrade. I haven't done a clean install with R6. Also might look into upgrading bios, if there is something newer.

The latest BIOS is 0404. Interestingly, my P1-AH2 began the lockup routine last week on a fresh install of R5.5. I disassembled it, couldn't see anything wrong, put it back together and its been perfect for two whole days.

LinHES 6 has been released, I'm tempted to do an upgrade...but the onboard video isn't supported by VDPAU. A PCI video card will be necessary, but are they too big? Any ideas here?

Thanks again for the writeup!

-sTv

Drives: 500Gb IDE; IDE DVD-RW
Mobo: eMachines
Tuners (Analog): PVR-250
Tuners (Digital): DCT-6200 Motorola Cable Box, HDHomeRun (OTA + cable)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:31 pm 
steeve wrote:
Too Many Secrets wrote:

The latest BIOS is 0404. Interestingly, my P1-AH2 began the lockup routine last week on a fresh install of R5.5. I disassembled it, couldn't see anything wrong, put it back together and its been perfect for two whole days.

LinHES 6 has been released, I'm tempted to do an upgrade...but the onboard video isn't supported by VDPAU. A PCI video card will be necessary, but are they too big? Any ideas here?

Thanks again for the writeup!

-sTv

I'm using the onboard video just fine, no VDPAU support of course, but out DVI nonetheless.

I have a KWorld 110 card in mine, if that helps you guess size limitations. I've also heard that a Haupauge 500 card squeezes in, but haven't tried.