View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: AsRock Q1900-ITX
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:45 pm 
There haven't been many Tier 1's listed in awhile so I thought I'd let everyone know about this m/b. The ASRock Q1900-ITX is an ITX-format board that holds a FANLESS Celeron J1900 quad-core processor (included) and supports LinHES FE/BE use perfectly.

Although it supports Intel's accelerated graphics, I'm not able to use that feature (yet) as it needs later support in LinHES (currently running 8.3). Even so, the processor has the suds to decode 1080p in software with smooth playback and no glitches. I'm using it on a Sharp 70-in panel and the result is fantastic.

The audio driver works out of the box -- no fiddling needed. I'm using the HDMI connector to pipe video and audio through my A/V receiver which decodes the Dolby or DTS signal and all works perfectly on this board.

Other nice features of the board include a mini-PCIe slot (half length) which can support a wireless card or a small SSD device. I have an SSD coming which I plan to use as my boot drive, keeping my rotating memory (2x2TB) free for movies and TV. It also has an optical SPDIF connector which is a nicety I appreciate, having needed that in previous lifetimes (mostly before working audio over HDMI). It sports FOUR SATA connectors on board, two SATA2 and two SATA3, and it has a mix of USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports (front and rear). Video connections include VGA, DVI, and HDMI. It also has PS/2 connectors for those of you who have wireless keyboards using that technology (like me).

All in all, I can't say enough about this board. It's under $100 at NewEgg (including processor) and it is great for a FE, BE, or FE/BE build.

-- Joe

Post subject: Re: AsRock Q1900-ITX
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:22 am 
I love that J1900 CPU. We use it in one of the products sold by my work. Unfortunately that CPU is part of a silicon family with an early life wear out issue. Yes, I know the instinctive reaction: CPU silicon (not the same as flash) can't wear out! Same reaction I had when I learned of this. Specific portions of the silicon may wear out due to use:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/p ... dendum.pdf

Best I can tell this AsRock J1900 implementation will have very limited exposure to this issue. Don't hang a USB 2.0 (USB 3.0 is OK) HDD off it and continuously record/playback from the HDD and this board should run for years without issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:44 pm 
Wow! That's really something! By odd coincidence, I'm using network storage for my shows and I don't have any USB things connected. So I completely lucked out on this one!

-- Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:52 am 
I know I'm replying to an old post.... but there aren't many recent mythtv HW posts anywhere anymore....

I'm looking to replace my aging Atom 330 mini-ITX board. I'm a little hesitant about Intel graphics. How is this for HW deinterlacing? I see there were some problems in the past, but am not sure if they have been fixed. Ex.:

https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1373

I have both 1080i and 576i channels.

Cheers,

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:46 am 
Just to answer my own question:

Mythtv only supports BOB and Linear deinterlacing with VAAPI. The "good" VAAPI deinterlacers do not yet work because mythtv is using a fork of ffmpeg taken before it was implemented.

So, deinterlacting works for intel. Just not as well as with nvidia. I think I'll try and baby my atom MB for a bit longer.

Note: AsRock has newer ITX MBs based on Apollo Lake that are probably good for mythtv if you don't need high quality deinterlacing (J3455B-ITX or J4205-ITX).