CPU HEATSINK: Zalman CNPS7000-ALCU
NORTHBRIDGE HEATSINK: (came with MB)
CD/DVD-RW: NEC ND-3550A
HDD: Hitachi 160MB parallel ATA
GRAPHICS CARD: MSI FX-5200 128MB
SOUNDCARD: JVC RX-D202
TUNER CARD: Hauppage WinTV PVR-150
REMOTE CONTROL: bundled PVR-150 "dog-bone" style

The power light on the case was annoyingly bright, so I cut one of the wires and soldered a 12Kohm resistor in series with the wire. A standard 1/4W carbon composition resistor is fine.

My "soundcard" is a JVC RX-D202 home theater receiver. This receiver has a USB input. I was pleased to discover that Linux recognized it, loaded snd-usb-audio, and it just worked. I was disappointed to discover that if the receiver was turned off then the sound would no longer work until the PC was rebooted. I'm no expert, but I found that sound would come back if I restarted the hotplug. So I created a script /usr/local/bin/mythplaytv.sh, which contains two lines:
sudo /etc/init.d/hotplug restart
mplayer -fs -zoom -quiet -vo xv $1

I also had to add hotplug to the mythtv line in /etc/sudoers, which now looks like
mythtv ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/eject,/sbin/halt,/sbin/reboot,/bin/mount,/bin/umount,/usr/local/bin/mythbackup,/usr/local/bin/mythrestore,/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend,/usr/local/sbin/hibernate,/usr/local/bin/xine-post,/etc/init.d/hotplug

Finally I used the MythTV GUI to set it to call my script instead of calling mplayer directly. With this setup I can turn the receiver on and off as desired. The only restriction is that the receiver must be on and set to the USB input before switching to a screen that shows video, including the screen that shows video thumbnails of recorded shows.

The USB port is on the front left of the receiver and my PC is to the right, so I bought a left-angled black USB cable from USBFirewire.com (RR-ASBL01-24). It's only two feet long, but it goes around the side of the receiver and then connects to an ordinary black USB extension cable.

Initially MythBurn DVD couldn't burn DVDs at all. /myth/mythburn/temp/mythburn.log showed a permission problem accessing the CD-ROM, so I added user 'www-data' to the cdrom group in /etc/group and restarted Apache with
/etc/init.d/apache restart.

After that I could burn DVDs as long as I didn't transcode the audio to AC3. However that meant no audio when the DVD was played in my regular DVD player. My fix for that, and I'm not saying this is the right way to do it, was to edit /myth/mythburn/scripts/remplex.sh. After the line that starts with
audio=`${myfolder}/scripts/prepare_audio.sh ...

I added:
#SC 11/24/06: audio contains the complete output of the prepare_audio.sh
#script, so extract the name of the audio file it created.
audioFilename=`echo $audio | gawk '{print $NF}' -`
echo "audioFilename is: " $audioFilename

then I changed
mplex -o $dst -f 8 ${base}.m2v ${audio} 2> /dev/null

to
mplex -v 1 -o $dst -f 8 ${base}.m2v ${audioFilename} # 2> /dev/null

and
rm ${audio}

to
rm ${audioFilename}

The resulting DVDs play in both of my regular DVD players.

Whew! Hope all this helps someone,
-Steve