View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:24 am 
After a bit of fiddling, I've finally gotten knoppmyth to work almost perfectly on my system. After the horror stories I heard about installing MythTV, I was pleasantly surprised about how easy KnoppMyth was to use. Looks like Linux usability has gone a long way...

First, the hardware:

I was a bit worried about compatibility (especially since the system I'm using is about 8 years old), so I tried to stick with parts I knew would work. nVidia FX5200 for TVout (via S-video). PIII 750 Mhz and 384mb RAM. Crystal CS4236 onboard sound.

The install:

The install didn't recognize either of my 2 network cards (not that I expected it to), so I had to manually build drivers using the kernel source provided here:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... nel+source

Download that, merge it with the kernel-headers directory in /usr/src, and do a partial "make" to build some of the necessary files (you can hit control-C after about 30 seconds). Don't forget to change the linux symlink to point to the new kernel-source-blahblahblah directory. I actually also had to change the build symlink in /usr/include.

After I got my no-name ADM8211 PCI wireless card working, the install proceeded smoothly. I never did get my ancient 10mbps ISA ethernet card working, but that didn't matter since the wireless card worked.

I have Comcast cable in the Chicago-land area, and I had to switch to us-cable-hrc in the video source setup. Before I did that, I had static on all the channels. Afterward, the video is great (it looks better when routed through my MythTV box than through my A/V system!).

Other problems:

For some reason, my onboard sound didn't work right away. It was correctly recognized as a crystal CS4236, but then the boot screen complain of a busy device and tried to load the CS46xx drivers, which complained of some other error. Using alsaconf fixed the problem, but I haen't figured out how to make that change permanent so that it works on every boot.

Although the video quality is great, the text is jagged and hard to read. Maybe this is because I have a 27" CRT being and am using composite video. In any case, I'm still working on tweaking that to make it look better.

Otherwise, all is working great and thanks for this fantastic distro!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:53 am 
Quote:
Using alsaconf fixed the problem, but I haen't figured out how to make that change permanent so that it works on every boot.

I have a similar card, this is what I did to get working.

Quote:
The Crystal/Cirrus sound card wasn't automatically detected by ALSA, after running alsaconf figured out card was detected as an ISA device and alsa would work until reboot.

Added line below to /etc/modules after other sound drivers lines and after subsuquent reboot sound card worked fine.

Code:
snd-cs4232

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:40 pm 
Could you fill in the template with the rest of your hardware details from the topic sticky posting? http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10956

Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:04 pm 
tjc wrote:
Could you fill in the template with the rest of your hardware details from the topic sticky posting? http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10956

Thanks...

Sorry about that.

# Video type: SDTV
# Type of system: combined front- and back-end
# Noise level: I had to put it in my closet because it was too loud;

# CASE: Dell Dimension XPS R___ series
# PSU:
# MOTHERBOARD: Intel 440BX
# CPU: PIII 750 Mhz (CPU load while watching TV is ~75%)
# RAM: 384 MB
# CPU HEATSINK: heatsink+fan combo
# NORTHBRIDGE HEATSINK: none
# CD/DVD-RW: NEC 28C CD-drive
# HDD: WD2500JB
# GRAPHICS CARD: nVidia FX5200 w/ S-video->composite adapter to TV
# SOUNDCARD: Crystal CS4236 onboard sound (this didn't work at boot, but did work after running alsaconf). See [1].
# TUNER CARD: Hauppauge PVR-150
# REMOTE CONTROL: Option "d" in the remote setup (PVR-150 w/ IR receiver/blaster) made the remote work fine. I'm currently working on getting my standard universal remote (Sony RM-V302) working. I haven't gotten it to work yet, but this web page seems to imply that it is possible:

http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/sony/RM-V302

[1] It was a royal pain getting this to work at boot. For some reason, uvdev autodetects this as a CS4231. Since it isn't, that module obviously fails to work and prints out an error. Doing "modprobe snd-cs4236" makes everything magically work (or running alsaconf), but this doesn't hold across reboots. I tried appending snd-cs4236 to /etc/modules, but it still didn't work after a reboot. Upon further investigation, all of the module* scripts in /etc/init.d were failing because /proc/ksyms did not exist and ksyms gave this output:

root@pvr:~# ksyms
ksyms: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented

That's bizarre because this kernel clearly supports loadable modules. Being too lazy to investigate this further, I just hacked the /etc/init.d/modutils script to "modprobe snd-cs4236" at the top. Now the soundcard works great.