Intel DG965OT board
Core2 Duo E6320 1.86GHz
2GB DDR2 PC5300/667 RAM
eVGA GeForce 7600GS running at 1280x720@60Hz over DVI out
Two pcHDTV HD-5500 capture cards
Seagate 250GB SATA HD
Samsung WriteMaster SATA DVD-RW
Streamzap remote
Samsung LN-R268W display using HDMI input (via DVI to HDMI cable)

I can't believe that more people aren't using the Intel DG965OT board, considering that it so closely resembles the DG965WH used in the Dragon. I picked the board mainly because of its micro-ATX form factor.
The loudest part of this setup is the tiny little fan on the graphics card. I may end up replacing it due to poor WAF regarding the noise level.

Problem: Jerky audio and video from Intel DQ965GF motherboard
Solution: Replaced with DG965OT motherboard instead

Problem: Analog sound devices on HD-5500 cards clashing with onboard audio
Solution: Installed R5F1 prior to inserting PC-5500 cards. Immediately before inserting the cards and rebooting, I blacklisted cx88-alsa devices in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Problem: Operating system did not detect optimum display modes for HDTV/monitor
Solution: Generated X11 modelines for optimum modes and inserted into xorg.conf

Problem: Volume levels not remembered by O/S & MythTV
Solution: Locked in 100% volume level with alsamixer, then stored with alsactl. Also disabled MythTV's internal volume mixer, opting to adjust TV volume instead.

Problem: Encrypted and/or unusable QAM channels were presented by MythTV scanner as usable
Solution: Manually tuned into each QAM channel to determine if it was usable

Problem: Nearly all QAM channels were tagged as cable channel 0 by DataDirect
Solution: Used "View Source" on zap2it.com site to reveal five-digit XMLTVID codes, then updated MySQL CHANNEL table directly until all channel data was accurate. Setting VISIBLE=0 via a single SQL update quickly hid the unusable channels. What can I say, I'm a database geek.

Problem: Bitmap logos for most channels were either of poor resolution or missing entirely
Solution: Downloaded new logos from satellite enthusiast websites and from Wikipedia. Updated MySQL CHANNEL table to reference new logo bitmaps.

Problem: Could not get WiFi working on the MythTV box. All I had was an old Netgear MA111 stick, which was not fully detected.
Solution: Loaded DD-WRT firmware onto an old Linksys WRT54G in order to turn the WRT into a wireless client bridge. The MythTV box connects to the WRT via Cat5, and DD-WRT bridges it onto my home wireless network. Be sure to enable the proxy ARP setting on DD-WRT (a secret variable hidden somewhere under /proc) or else your machines beyond the DD-WRT bridge will not be able to see or contact the MythTV PC.

Problem: Frequent lockups and hanging when attempting to access ATA optical drive. Logs show "spurious interrupt" errors and 30-second device timeouts. Optical drive is essentially unusable on the box.
Solution: Used an IDE optical drive instead.

Last edited by hesby on Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:19 pm 
hesby wrote:
Problem: Analog sound devices on HD-5500 cards clashing with onboard audio
Solution: Installed R5F1 prior to inserting PC-5500 cards. Immediately before inserting the cards and rebooting, I blacklisted cx88-alsa devices in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

There is a better solution which doesn't disable the cards audio. I believe there is a link in the R5F1 hints.

hesby wrote:
Problem: Volume levels not remembered by O/S & MythTV
Solution: Locked in 100% volume level with alsamixer, then stored with alsactl. Also disabled MythTV's internal volume mixer, opting to adjust TV volume instead.

Dialing all the volumes up to 100% is not recommended. It tends to produce distortion on the audio card. Backing at least the master down to 90% will often produce better results.