View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:24 pm 
After MUCH trial and error and searching, I finally got the procedure to install this puppy and avoid the dreaded "c7 spawning too quickly" error. I've got it working with my nVidia 8400 GS and my 440 MX.

The steps are as follows:

0. Go to www.nvidia.com, click on drivers, select your card model and linux 32 OS. Mouse over the link for the driver download link and note the number. (my 8400 uses the 169.09 driver and the 440 uses the 96.43.05 version)
1. Boot to and install Knoppmyth as you normally would, but do NOT reboot when it's done installing.
2. When the installer is finished, it dumps you to a command line, from there, mv startx to startx.save
Code:
cd /mnt/hdi{PRESS THE TAB KEY}/usr/bin/
mv startx startx.save

3. Reboot
4. When the machine boots up, you WILL get the dreaded respawning error, but it will be quick and no flashing.
5. Log in as root
6. Type the following (thanks to Fra for this):
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.18-chw-13/include/linux/
rm i2c-id.h
wget http://lm-sensors.org/svn/i2c/trunk/kernel/i2c-id.h

7. Run the nvidia installer, using the driver number from step 0 (I'm using 169.09 for the example)
Code:
install-nvidia-debian.sh 169.09 -force

8. Check /var/log/nvidia-installer.log to verify that the driver was created and loaded properly.
9. I had to do this step, but I'm not sure why as they are only warnings and not errors, but fix the font warnings given in Xorg.0.log by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf
10. In the section "Files" comment out entries for "FontPath" that do NOT have "unscaled" as part of their value. Here is a snippet of mine for example:
Code:
Section "Files"
        RgbPath      "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc:unscaled"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi:unscaled"
#       FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
#       FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Speedo"
#       FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/PEX"
# Additional fonts: Locale, Gimp, TTF...
#       FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
#       FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/latin2/75dpi"
#       FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/latin2/100dpi"
# True type and type1 fonts are also handled via xftlib, see etc/X11/XftConfig!
#       FontPath     "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
#       FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
#       FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/latex-ttf-fonts"
EndSection

11. Rename startx back
Code:
mv /usr/bin/startx.save /usr/bin/startx

12. Finally, reboot.

I've rebuilt my new Knoppmyth box 3 times now to test these steps and they work. I've tried them with different nVidia cards and all that I've tried seem to work. If someone wants to put this in the Wiki, be my guest (no references to me are wanted or needed) as Wiki's scare me ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:20 am 
I'm getting the "c7 respawning" message on the first reboot immediately after installation. This is with the on-board GeForce 7025 video on a Biostar TF7025-M2.

I found your thread and tried to follow it, but didn't quite follow steps 1 and 2.

I boot the KnoppMyth CD and go through the Auto Install steps (the first half of your Step 1). However, when it comes to the end of installation, there is no option to stop from rebooting (the second half of your Step 1) nor do I get dumped to a command line (first half of your Step 2).

I know there's an option to exit the installer to the command line, but that's pre-installation back at the initial install CD menu.

Should I go through the Auto Install, then instead of taking the CD out, keep the install CD in, reboot WITH the CD, wait for the main menu, select the option to exit the installer, and THEN carry on with your Step 2 and so on?

The only other question is, if I do this, is networking up and running so that I can wget those updated headers and the recommended nvidia drivers?

Thanks for the help.

Post subject: ceenvee703
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:14 am 
Are you using knoppmyth r5f27? I used the "tv" boot option as I was pushing the output to my big-screen. This maybe why mine didn't reboot automatically.

Even so, not to worry. When you reboot, the monitor will flicker for a bit (5-15 seconds) and you'll get the c7 respawning error. When that happens, log in as root and move startx:
Code:
mv /usr/bin/startx /usr/bin/startx.save

then goto step 3 above (reboot).

As for your network, if you have a basic network card, Knoppmyth should detect it and try to find a DHCP server to get it an address. If it's not, then that's a separate problem that we'll have to fix. My systems did have this problem because the new nVidia onboard network cards use MAC addresses outside of standard ranges. I had to use udev and ifconfig to tell linux that my card is real and to give it a fake MAC address that it would accept.[/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:36 am 
Yeah, I'm in that same boat as I'm using the onboard Nvidia-based Ethernet port. I'll try to give it a shot, or I may just wait for the next release of KnoppMyth. Thanks for the follow-up, I appreciate it.

Post subject: nvidia onboard ethernet
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:35 am 
Ok, I'll have steps for you to get the MAC address working later today. (gotta head out to work right now)