Post subject: Compaq Evo D510s
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:15 am 
An excellent kit to run Mythtv on.

What's Great:
Quiet! Really, really quiet.
Cheap
Expandable. Has 1 AGP +2 pci expansion slots
Massive IDE drives can be had cheap
Captures 720x480 no problem. That's before tweaking things with hdparm.

What's Not Great:
Probably need a new sound card. I had bad sound buffering problems with the on-board intel. I'm not ruling out misconfiguration on my part, but buffering issues were eliminated with a $30 sound card.

Your xorg.conf needs some extra configuration options to enable opengl/XvMc/etc. Shakey 3D support. I get errors about the chipset not supporting a bunch of the opengl functions. 915resolution also reported that 16:9 resolutions were not available in the video chipset.

You may be wise to slap a low-power, half-height agp card in and disable the Intel graphics.

That's the worst thing I can say about the box though. Highly recommended.

Post subject: Re: Compaq Evo D510s
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:11 am 
mpapet wrote:

What's Great:
Cheap

What's Not Great:
Probably need a new sound card. I had bad sound buffering problems with the on-board intel. I'm not ruling out misconfiguration on my part, but buffering issues were eliminated with a $30 sound card.

Your xorg.conf needs some extra configuration options to enable opengl/XvMc/etc. Shakey 3D support. I get errors about the chipset not supporting a bunch of the opengl functions. 915resolution also reported that 16:9 resolutions were not available in the video chipset.

You may be wise to slap a low-power, half-height agp card in and disable the Intel graphics.

I have been running two of these, one is a front/BES and the other is Frontend only. Mine are 2.8Ghz and with a NV-6200 video card, I have no problem with 1080i.

The Front/BES can watch a 1080i, and record 720x480 via the 250 and an OTA via a PCHDTV 5500. I have the backend do the commercial flaging.

Nice machines and very quiet. You will find that the HD makes the most noise, compared to the rest of the machine.

As for sound, the front/BES uas a Turtle Beach USB dongle to give me digital out. The frontend only uses the built in sound and I have never had a problem.

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:41 am 
I have one in my bedroom. I posted under tier 2 but really its tier 1.

Most of these are easily converted to a horizontal front layout, so it almost looks like an A/V component.

Mine is a P4 2.4 and I put in a 5200 AGP card just to be sure it would handle playback. I don't remember monkeying with xorg.conf, I think it just worked out of the box. I have it hooked up to an LCD monitor via VGA cables, so that may have helped things.

Mine has a built-in speaker, I just use that. Again, its in the bedroom.

Many of these come with XP Pro installed on the hard disk, for those of us who live in both worlds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:29 pm 
One thing I did with both was to make sure they had two memory sticks. This allows it to use dual memory, which I believe siginificantly increase processing thru-put.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:42 pm 
Site Admin
Thanks for the post. However, it would be great if you gave more specific details of what you edited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:43 pm 
For anyone still following this d510 thread, Fry's is running a sale for an AGP 5200 card for $40 - $40 rebate. Sales tax and shipping extra.

Post subject: Re: Compaq Evo D510s
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:39 am 
cfr131 wrote:
mpapet wrote:

What's Great:
Cheap

What's Not Great:

I have been running two of these, one is a front/BES and the other is Frontend only. Mine are 2.8Ghz and with a NV-6200 video card, I have no problem with 1080i.

The Front/BES can watch a 1080i, and record 720x480 via the 250 and an OTA via a PCHDTV 5500. I have the backend do the commercial flaging.

Nice machines and very quiet. You will find that the HD makes the most noise, compared to the rest of the machine.

As for sound, the front/BES uas a Turtle Beach USB dongle to give me digital out. The frontend only uses the built in sound and I have never had a problem.

Tony

I have access to a 2.4GHz EVO D510 SFF. The SFF version only has a 175W power supply where as the CMT version has a 220W power supply.

I notice that some (all?) of the Nvidia 6200 cards require a power supply greater than 175w, so I'm assuming d510 owners who use a Nvidia 6200 card have the CMT version?

Can the Nvidia 5200 or 5500 output 1080i?

Oh, I would be looking to use the d510 as a BE/FE system.

Thanks
Greg