View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: R6 (linHES) on Proliant
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:47 am 
Running as stand-alone backend.

Even though the Smart Array RAID controller is recognized and supported via the cciss driver, the install script won't find the logical drives (/dev/cciss/c0d0 etc) as installable disks.

Updated:

I went back and started reading the code of the MythVantage install process to get a better understanding of how it works. Basically the MythVantage binary creates an /etc/systemconfig file which has most of the config parameters. It then calls install_proxy.sh to actually perform the installation. Looking at the code for install_proxy.sh, it can be called manually with the following command line:

install_proxy.sh <install type> <root drive> <boot fs type> <boot fs size> <data fs type> <data fs size> <swap size>.

MythVantage -? shows you that you can bring up each config page manually, and it will update the /etc/systemconfig file as it goes. So after running it to configure the network, etc, you can use:

install_proxy.sh full_install_it cciss/c0d0 etx3 10000 etx3 20000 2048

to do the actual installation.

This will get you about 95% of the way there -- in my case there were a couple of services which weren't being started automatically, but that's easy mode.

B

---- ORIGINAL (i.e. HARD method) below

To solve this, I downloaded and burned the Arch Linux net-install ISO and booted from that. Manually editted the "/etc/pacman.conf" file to point to the Knoppmyth package database, and did an /arch/setup to run the Arch installation. I also had to manually grub the boot partition for some reason (this might be pilot error).

This got the system booting, and then I had to manually install and configure mysql, X11, runit, and mythbackend.

All in all not EASY by any means, but not beyond the abilities of someone with reasonable google skills.[/b]

Last edited by bpmcgee on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:33 pm 
Another option in this instance where you have a hardware product that might be complicated to setup , you could set up say Arch Linux for example and then install LinHES as a Virtual Machine. This way you will not have the problems of installation issues of LinHES.

However you do have the trade off of the slight speed degradation of being inside a VM, without experience I can not say what effect this would have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:34 am 
Girkers,

Thanks for the suggestion. I updated my above post to reflect my second effort -- to better understand the LinHES install process.

This second effort was much easier!

B