View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:44 pm 
First, let me paste in the system details and then get in to how easy R6 is to install versus R5F27.

# Video type: ATSC OTA to HDTV
# Type of system: combined front- and back-end
# Noise level: I can tell it's on until I play some media. From the couch, at ~15ft, it is barely audible in a quiet room.
# CASE: Antec Overture II
# PSU: 450W (comes with case)
# MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P5B
# CPU: Core 2 Dou E6700
# RAM: 2 GB of DDR2 5400 (667MHz GEIL)
# CPU HEATSINK: Nexus PHT-7750
# NORTHBRIDGE HEATSINK: Passive Heatsink comes with MB
# CD/DVD-RW: LG GH22LS40 22x (CD/DV+-R,and dual layer)
# HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
# GRAPHICS CARD: Nvidia 6600GT (fan replaced, see previous post)
# SOUNDCARD: None, using builtin on MB
# TUNER CARD: FusionHDTV Lite 5, pcHDTV HD-3000
# REMOTE CONTROL: None (for now, looking at getting one)

With all the manual work to get the system stable previously (see here), I left well enough alone for nearly 2 years. But when R6 was released, I took it as an opportunity to upgrade not only to the new release but also to a larger SATA hard drive and SATA DVD writer. The reason I say this was "nearly a Tier 1" is because most of the editing of files I did was minimal and was really related to external hardware requirement. So, here's what I had to do to get it to work.....

The first edit was to the xorg.conf file. I could be wrong, but I don't think I would have had to edit this file if I was using VGA or DVI. The reason for the edit is that my Yamaha AV receiver does not have HDMI inputs (or outputs) and I use it as my switch for my other AV components. Since it doesn't have HDMI, I use the component out on my video card. Thus after R6 installed, the output switches to a blue tint. At first I tried my old xorg.conf file (from my old hd) but it didn't like that. After some searching around, and fiddling with it, here is the relevant (yet simple) parts of the xorg.conf file that worked:
Code:
    Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option "DPI" "100 x 100"
    Option "NoLogo" "1"   

#INSERT HERE
#doing the advanced
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
Option "TVStandard" "HD1080i"
Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT"
Option  "UseEdidFreqs" "false"
Option "UseEvents" "true"
#END OPTIONS
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
         Modes "1920x1080"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
EndSection

Very simple really, because most of it is already there. Really just the "Options" and "Section "DRI"" are the important parts.

Next issue was the sound and again back to wanting to feed the Yamaha a spdif signal. Although this took me a few tries (over a few days) to get right, the final solution was quite simple. On a side note, the stereo out the back stereo plug worked OOB. Both OSS and ALSA. But, spdif was another story. As the note on the stereo plug shows, I played around with both OSS and ALSA. AFAICT from searching the web, OSS does not have full support for spdif (but I've been know to be wrong). So I loaded the ALSA drivers. You can do this by going into the Service Menu -> LinHES configuration -> Audio settings ... and then do this:
    Sound card driver: ALSA
    Type: Digital
    enable all radio buttons.
And don't forget to hit the "load drivers" button. Then in the Service Menu -> MythTV Configuration -> Setup -> General (third page), use these settings:
    Audio output device: ALSA:spdif
    Passthrough output device: ALSA:iec958:{AES0 0x02}
    Max Audio Channels: Stereo <- yeah, I know seem wrong but I'm getting 5.1
    Upmix: Passive
    Enable both "Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough" and "Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough" radio buttons. Don't enable the other two (unless you want to use them, again my Yamaha handles the volume).

And finally, make sure you have your asound.conf file at /etc/asound.conf and you don't have anything muted in the alsamixer. I cover how I set that up in my first tier 2 post (see link above). Since I had the old hard drive, I mounted it, copied asound.conf over, and done.

That was it. The system was up and working like a champ. If you have read my previous post, you'll note that I had no hard drive issue or ethernet issue. Besides my component out fix on the xorg.conf file and the spdif magic settings, it was easy.

So why am I still typing? Well, I'm a big fan of MythWelcome and I wanted to get that working as I had done on my R5 system. I really like having my system start up and shutdown when not in use, thus saving on my power and cooling bill. But, if you search around the forums, most of the information you'll find is related to R5 or R5.5. Good stuff but not good enough to have a working MythWelcome in R6. Finally I found this thread:
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19923
And after reading it about 3 or 4 times, I finally noticed that brfransen in the 5 post tells you how to do it. Well, he tells you which file has all the setting:
Quote:
Open the mythwelcome-set-alarm.sh and there are the instructions for how to setup mythwelcome and mythtv-setup. The biggest change is that the paths are different from R5.5.

So, the R5.5 guide is really good at getting you started but what you really need to know are the paths to the correct scripts to enter into the various setup pages. Thus, in order simplify setup for future MythWelcome users, I'm going to quote the file here:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#$1 is the first argument to the script. It is the time in seconds since 1970
#This is defined in mythwelcome with the time_t argument

# Configure mythwelcome --setup page:
# Command to Set Wakeup Time:     sudo sh -c "/usr/LH/bin/mythwelcome-set-alarm.sh $time"
# Wakeup Time Format:             time_t
# nvram-wakeup Restart Command:   Leave this blank
# Command to reboot:              sudo /sbin/reboot
# Command to shutdown:            sudo /sbin/poweroff
# Command to run Xterm:           xterm
# Command to start the Frontend:  /usr/bin/mythfrontend -l /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log

# Configure mythtv-setup Shutdown/Wakeup Options page:
# Idletimeout (secs):             any value greater that 0
# Wakeup time format:             yyyy-MM-dd:hh:mm
# Set wakeup time command:        /usr/bin/mythshutdown --setwakeup $time
# Server Halt command:            /usr/bin/mythshutdown --shutdown
# Pre shutdown check command:     /usr/bin/mythshutdown --check

echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm      #this clears your alarm
echo $1 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm     #this writes your alarm
cat /proc/driver/rtc > /var/log/wake_alarm

Using the information shown above along with the R5.5 guide worked for me. Hopefully this will help you.

And finally, a few other tibbits. Firefox and flash are very easy to install in R6. Do a search to find out how. Setting up VNC, Mythweb, viewing DVD movies (i.e. encrypted), and File Sharing are also very easy and mostly can be done from within the service menu. One note about File Sharing, for awhile, I could not get my Mac or PC to write file to the /myth/video folder. Finally I saw a post about enabling the "Read Only" radio buttons in the file sharing menu. Yeah, seems counter intuitive, but then everything works. And last but not least, big thanks to Cecil and all the unnamed tester who got R6 to release. It's an excellent release! You've all done a superb job.