View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:39 pm 
This is an old computer I had sitting around collecting dust. I didn't think I would ever have any use for it again but then I found Knoppmyth and my old puter found life again! Here are the specs:

PII-400Mhz
384 MB ram
BCM QS440BX motherboard
MSI Nvidia Geforce4 MX4000 video card
PVR-250 (a must for my system, not enough CPU power)
Netgear WG311T wireless nic
10GB + 32GB HD drives (used LVM to add secondary hd)

With a lot of help from the Knoppmyth forums, Wiki, and IRC chat I was able to get this system up an running. I am a linux newbie so it took a awhile for me to get it going.

I used Knoppmyth R4V5 and used autoinstall to get things installed. Everything went great and installed fine.

1. The first edit I made was to install the nvidia driver. This allowed me to Watch TV. Make sure you install XvMC too otherwise video will be choppy.
2. Then I installed the DCT2000 channel changing script so i can change channels on my cable set top box. I use a serial cable to do so.
3. I noticed that the system hung when I changed channels. This is due to the OSD. I had to edit osd.xml to make sure that fade was set to 0.
4. Then I had to update the IVTV driver since I could not hear any sound. I used the latest release at the time.
5. Getting the wireless nic card to work was the trickiest thing. I downloaded and used the madwifi driver. Then i had to untar the 2.4.25-chw source to compile the madwifi driver. There are various how-tos on how to do this. Then i configured the card based on the how-tos
6. The last edit was to setup XF86Config-4 to be tv out for my nvidia graphics card
7. The TV I wanted to view with my knoppmyth box had only a RF (coax) input. Problem solved when I used an old VCR as an RF modulator. Using an svideo to composite converter I connect to the VCR. Then RF out from the VCR to the TV RF in.

Two important tweaks to keep from getting choppy video or playback.:
1. Make sure you have ample space in your /hda1 partition or your root partition. I had some errors and the log files filled up the whole partition. It basically crashed my system. Keep the logs cleared.
2. Make sure DMA settings are enabled on your HDDs. Use the howto on harddrive performance to set it. I had to set it when I added my new harddrive.